MAGIX Travel Maps for commercial use

M1ch43L wrote on 5/11/2019, 3:27 AM

Hello

We do not have any magix tool yet, we just watched some magix-clips on youtube. We are searching for tool to generate animated maps like MAGIX Travel Maps. Since our clips are used for commercial use as well, we do not know if magix photostory is the right tool for us:

License agreement for MAGIX Products (EULA)

5.2 Contents
a) In principle, the Contents - with the exception of Live Sets - may only be used for non-commercial purposes. This also applies to music, video or photo data as well as the corresponding templates acquired through or by means of MAGIX Products.

Is there a way to use magix travel maps which allows a commercial use of the output?

Thanks, Michael

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 5/11/2019, 4:30 AM

Hi, welcome to the Magix forums.

I'm pretty certain the section of the EULA which you quoted is directly pertinent here: "as is", the software would NOT allow any commercial use of the Travel Maps output.

However, I think you need a definitive answer from a member of Magix staff, rather than a fellow-user! I think you could try the email address info@magix.net and ask the question directly. Do let us know what reply you receive.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

M1ch43L wrote on 5/17/2019, 1:50 AM

Got the official answere 😰:

... not for commercial use ...

Would have loved to use it to improve youtube clips ...

Former user wrote on 5/17/2019, 4:22 AM

Generally, commercial use content included with Magix products not labeled "Pro" (or aimed at that market) is heavily restricted. I think Video Pro X has this mapping stuff, and lacks the Commercial Content restriction (it's even listed in the feature comparison).

$149 upgrade.

For a monetized YouTube channel, the safe bet is Video Pro X.

If your channel is not monetized, then you can use the content in your videos.

Ad Monetization of a video makes it commercial use. If you just upload and never monetized, then you're good.

Upgrading to Pro X removed this restriction.f

Sorry for being redundant. I'm trying to be crystal clear.

M1ch43L wrote on 5/18/2019, 3:13 AM

@Former user Thanks for your answere! I do not agree with your definition of commercial use and youtube, but that's not part of my threat since nobody here will take responsibility for my legal issues.

Your hint regarding Video Pro X is very interesting - I could not find the map feature at the product site, do you have a link?

Thanks & br, Michael

browj2 wrote on 5/18/2019, 8:40 AM

@M1ch43L

Hi Michael,

The Travel Maps feature is actually a standalone program that comes with PhotoStory Premium and VR. It can be accessed from within the program or by opening it directly. It does not come with Movie Edit Pro or Video Pro X at the moment. Magix may bundle it in the next versions, due out this summer.

It uses OpenStreetMaps and ESRI maps. There are 4 types of ESRI maps and beside the word ESRI on the map selection screen, it is written Copyright.

How the copyright works with ESRI maps, I don't know, but that could be one problem in using Travel Maps commercially. I assume that there is no problem with OpenStreetMaps and you can see the licensing conditions on their site.

The other problem is the use of the symbols, icons, clipart and images that belong to Magix. It seems that Magix does not provide a commercial license for these, and that is likely where the problem lies.

You can, of course, use Google Earth Pro, which is free but rather difficult to make something nice.

Another alternative is Vasco da Gama from MotionStudios. This is much more powerful, but does not include detailed maps or satellite imagery. There is a globe of the earth with cities, etc., but no great detail. You can import a map or image and use it to create your route, or get Vasco StreetMaps which creates mapping information from OpenStreetMaps data for use with Vasco da Gama.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

M1ch43L wrote on 5/18/2019, 11:57 AM

@browj2 Thanks! Right now we use OpenStreetMap with "manual" animation, which is not a big joy ... Vasco da Gama looks promissing, I will get in contact with MotionStudios - thanks for the link.

Br, Michael

browj2 wrote on 5/19/2019, 12:27 PM

@M1ch43L

Hi Michael,

We forgot to mention Travel Route Animation which comes with the video editors (Movie Edit Pro, Video Pro X and PhotoStory) and several other Magix programs. It's based on Mapnik, OpenStreetMaps and ThunderForest maps.

With this, you can import a route or trace it manually, export it as a static image or with animation. The pins can be turned off and you can add your own into a video editor.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

M1ch43L wrote on 5/19/2019, 11:09 PM

Hello @browj2

Thanks - that's exactly what covers our needs. I will check which magix product is the cheapest way to get it for commercial use ... 😄

Br, Michael

browj2 wrote on 5/20/2019, 9:23 AM

@M1ch43L

I suggest that you try it first.

Movie Edit Pro Plus is on sale - same price as the basic version (which is not recommended). PhotoStory Traveller's Edition costs more than MEP and is missing many features of MEP. I have PhotoStory VR only because it came in a HumbleBundle for next to nothing.

John CB

John C.B.