MAGIX Photostory 2014 Deluxe fails to produce a DVD slideshow.

raedcruz wrote on 8/11/2014, 9:32 AM

Hi,

Spent nearly a month of computer time, editing, sorting and compiling a sideshow which comprised of stills, video footages and background music. The finished, 2 gigabyte project included 236 images had a run time of just over 38 minutes. Prior to burning to DVD as an AVCHD and WMV movie formats (done separately), I ran the Cleaning Wizard to tidy up any spurious and unwanted files. Did this on three separate occasions with each one failing to produced a single, error-free result - the DVD option which took over 2 days of continuous encoding during the last attempt, just refused to proceed beyond around two-thirds of the finish point, while the WMV files stopped short at around 85% with an error message!

I use a Dell Precision 690 CAD Workstation which has 32 gigs of RAM, nVidia Quatro 4000 Graphic Card and 270 Gbyte 15000 RPM Harddisk which as about 50 gigs of free space. After the first two failed attempts, I decided to shut down some of the PC's background programmes, to provide most of the available RAM for the encoding process...No luck!

Any suggestions and/or guidance in this regards would be most welcome.

Rae.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 8/11/2014, 12:18 PM

Hi

What is the full specification of the Dell workstation?

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/11/2014, 12:18 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

browj2 wrote on 8/12/2014, 5:36 PM

Hi,

Most importantly, save your project with a different file name, like the one you have followed by r1 (revision 1) just in case something goes wrong.

Now for burning, try something else. File, Export, File as Magix video. Then create a new project in PhotoStory and import the video just created. Then try burning that to a DVD. You will have to create any menus that you made previously. Test this to see if it works.

Alternatively, File, Export, Files as video MPEG-4. Do the same process.

First thing to see is that you can at least create a video file. There seems to be a lot of problems burning projects to DVD using Magix and other programs.

Secondly, if you manage to create the exported file successfully but cannot burn successfully to DVD, then try the following. Do not put a DVD in the DVD burner. When you get to the DVD Burning screen, click on Encode in directory, select a directory, supply a filename, and Burn. It will create the files required for a DVD in a directory (folder). Then go to file, Additional programs, Magix Speed BurnR, and navigate to the directory that you just encoded to, and burn the project this way. I have had success this way whereas I have had problems burning directly from PhotoStory and Magix Video Edit Pro. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Must be computer gremlins.

Lastly, if you manage to encode to a directory but not burn using Speed burnR, then try another burning program like Nero, if you have one.

HTH

Last changed by browj2 on 8/12/2014, 5:36 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

raedcruz wrote on 8/13/2014, 6:11 AM

Thanks for your suggestions brow12. I will try them as soon as I can get the project encoded - my gripe deals with the encoding and not the burning to disc part; at least not yet. The slideshow project as I have described below which plays perfectly okay in MAGIX Photostory's program interface monitor, fails to complete the encoding stage of the "burn" process as (a) an AVCHD DVD movie where it appears to stall after completing about 85% of the project; this after over 2 days in continuous encoding mode and (b) when I tried to "export" a WMV Full HD movie file, where the encoding process crashes at the 85% mark! I finally resorted to MAGIX Photostory's troubleshooter's suggestion to test the project composition for flaws and errors by generating a MPEG-4 DVD file prior to copying to disc. Well, this time I did get a fully encoded file but not without errors, and this is when I began to suspect what might be the problem. The mpeg4 file played back perfectly up till - you guessed it - the 85% mark where the remaining 15% contains the end credits of the movie. Now the end credits contain a complex, 4-stream mix of still images, video footages, the text and audio track, each one positioned on a separate level of the time line in order from top to bottom. The composed part of this 15% section is meant to display the still images and video footage in two separate, scaled-down (640x360) windows, one above the other which are positioned to one side of the "credits roll" screen, with the scrolling text to the left side. As I mentioned above, this along with the rest of the composed slideshow displayed perfectly in the interface monitor, but the mpeg4 movie just showed the video footage and scrolling text. No still images. So, the question is: (a) is there a particular procedure or protocol in arranging separate multimedia streams on the timeline and (b) if not then, is the encoder capable of processing multiple streams of multimedia material? Because everthing stalls, stops and crashes prior to this 15% part of my slideshow project.

raedcruz wrote on 8/13/2014, 6:18 AM

To your query johnebaker: I use a Dell Precision 690 Workstation which contains dual Intel Zeon 5600 @ 3.00 GHz CPUs; 32 Gigs of DDR2 RAM; nVidia Quadro 4000 Graphics Card; 271 Gbytes @ 15000 RPM Hard Disk (54 Gbytes free); Creative SB X-Fi Sound Card; DirectX 11; Windows 7 x64 Pro OS.