Comments

NoTurning wrote on 2/8/2009, 3:35 PM
Hi,
I'll give you a quick, simple break down and a recommendation.

Music Maker is reaching the end of it's useful life; it's a toy not a respectable music software. Yes... I said it - Music Maker IS A TOY!!!
I use Pro Tools for anything remotely serious and Music Maker to play or build songs from looped samples.

Samplitude - is a decent attempt by Magix to make a more studio oriented software. They still haven't figured out the difference between home and studio audio, unbalanced vs. mono and balanced vs. stereo. That big problem aside it's a great package and it's easy to work around these glaring audio problems. (they still have a music hobbyist with a sound card mentality)

I STRONLY recommend Samplitude over Music Maker - you will not be disappointed. Spend a few extra bucks and get better package.

Justin
metro_golden wrote on 2/9/2009, 12:20 AM

Exactly what I wanted to know and why I'm here! I'm a real neophyte trying to figure out the difference between the two. Is there anything you miss getting Samplitude over Music Maker, especially from a novice point of view?

NoTurning wrote on 2/9/2009, 8:39 AM
Let me clarify something here... when I'm talking about Samplitude I'm talking about the Magix product here: http://www.samplitude.com/eng/sam/uebersicht.html
I'm not talking about Samplitude Music Studio - that's an inflated version of Music Maker but still a good choice. Here is a better break down of which product you should get; I'm not going to recommend sub-versions like basic vs. producer.

1.) Music Maker - this is for the newb who wants to test the music making waters. It's easy and has drag and drop samples for making sample (loop) based music. You can go a long way and make some great music. It's also FUN!

2.) Samplitude Music Studio - this is for average Joe music guy who is tired of the free programs out there (Audacity or Krystal) and is looking for a more serious music production program. Some better mix/post production stuff here. Be aware of what recording frequencies you want to be capable of.

3.) Samplitude - if you're serious about music production and recording and have $200 - $800 to spend then you can go this route.  You better have your recording gear and know how to use it. A computer and a sound card will not cut it here! There is a lot of cool things that other pro-audio softwares don't do. But... Magix doesn't do some things that a true studio needs to do. All-in-all this is a great package and I wouldn't discourage anyone from getting it; but honestly I use Pro Tools (and sometimes Cubase) in this situation. For the money - you'll get better product support from Digidesign/Protools and a better product.
Justin