Magix have denied subscription refund

Dale-Murphy wrote on 12/22/2023, 6:59 AM

I have a annual subscription that I cancelled not too long ago as I no longer use it. It was renewed today!

I saw that you have to cancel before 1 month but only read that when I cancelled it. I cancelled it about 2-3 weeks ago.

I requested a refund as I will not be using the service and if not I will chargeback the money. The response was simply we are unable to refund. That is it.

I have purchased many soundpools and upgraded my Magix Music Maker and now you are going to throw away a paying customer over forcing a subscription service onto someone.

I am posting this to warn others of the poor customer service and as I have not used this service and requested it is cancelled with a refund within 24 hours and I am being denied. I am contacting my bank and Magix can go **** itself.

Bad language removed by Moderator.

Comments

Dale-Murphy wrote on 12/22/2023, 7:03 AM

It is currently in pending for the annual sub, I have contacted my bank and once the funds have cleared, I am charging it back. Enjoy the costs Magix and what a stupid way to treat your customers.

Forcing a sub on someone who is not using it right on the day of purchase is so anti-consumer!

SP. wrote on 12/22/2023, 7:31 AM

@Dale-Murphy You are contractually obligated to cancel at least one month before the renewal date to end your subscription. You might be contacted by debt collection in the future and then you need to pay the annual price plus fees without getting anything. This can also be negative for your credit score.

PATIENT-X wrote on 12/22/2023, 8:06 AM

@Dale-Murphy

The bank will not process a chargeback as Magix is protected by it's legal binding contract, I know we are all guilty at times of not reading contracts, but it is the responsibility of said buyers to ensure they know their legal obligations of said purchases.

As @SP. has stated you are required to give one months notice.

Magix are not forcing a subscription, you signed up for it and did not read their contract under "Cancellation"

Stephen

Forum Moderator

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

Intel Core i5-13600K Processor 3.5GHz

Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (16GB x 2) 4800MHz DDR5

Geforce RTX2080 Founders edition

Firecuda 530 1tb SSD Nvme

Team Group T-FORCE DELTA MAX RGB LITE 2.5" 1TB SATA III

Corsair RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX 1000 Watt Power Supply

5in LCD Screen

Lian Li UNI SL120 V2 triple fans

MSI Meg Unify Z690 motherboard

Paul-Farrell9615 wrote on 1/1/2024, 11:47 AM

It is currently in pending for the annual sub, I have contacted my bank and once the funds have cleared, I am charging it back. Enjoy the costs Magix and what a stupid way to treat your customers.

Forcing a sub on someone who is not using it right on the day of purchase is so anti-consumer!

Dale, I feel your pain. In this day of improved automated service and technology in many things, you'd think that Magix would jump on the bandwagon, but they have always been very, very slow and behind the times. I can't imagine any good service or product going against the saying, "cancel at any time". But Magix in many ways is stuck in the 1990s. We all know that the binding contracts we get thrown in our face are simply the red tape to protect the company from being sued, not intended necessarily to be read. If they really cared about the consumer, these documents would be abbreviated in bold print and minimized to simply a few statements. But no, it goes against their marketing strategy, and they know it just like you and I do.

I myself have a problem with renewing my licence for ACID Pro 11 simply because my debit card was defrauded, and I had to get a new one, and I failed to update my card many months ago.

I updated my payment details today and sadly I am still unable to renew my subscription because it wants a ComputerID. The forums say the days of needing to enter a ComputerID are far over, but that's not the case. I think Magix is sleeping today after a long night out from New Years' Eve last night.

SP. wrote on 1/1/2024, 12:18 PM

@Paul-Farrell9615 Magix customer service is based in Germany where today is a national holiday. You can try to contact them tomorrow. E-mail address is infoservice@magix.net

Dale-Murphy wrote on 3/23/2024, 1:38 PM

I wanted to give an update on this for others that also are affected by rediculous anti-consumer practices of Magix

Magix intially denied my request for a refund based on the agreed subscription TOS. I was then offered 6 months refund which I denied and then I was finally given a full refund.

I am based in the UK, that might make a difference but here are the links I sent to Magix to explain my position on this:

There are legislation changes happening in the UK - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/digital-markets-competition-and-consumers-bill-supporting-documentation/enhancing-consumer-rights-policy-summary-brief

I checked what could be raised with trading standards too - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/report-to-trading-standards/ 
Pressure tactics of taking subscription after cancellation, after clear instruction that a refund is required and after I have stated I am not using the service. 

Also the Competition & Markets Authority within the UK Government have stated these steps for subscription services in the UK - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5d38668940f0b604e3774f0a/UCT_09_Subscriptions.pdf

Its clear that if you want to keep a paying customer you should not force 1 month notice periods on a subscription. The UK government also seems to agree with that too.

No collection agency required and no credit rating damage either. Just treat customers better.

Wayne-Daniels wrote on 5/27/2024, 9:36 PM

I am unable to install the latest update on your website for Sound Forge Audio Studio 16

PATIENT-X wrote on 5/27/2024, 9:38 PM

@Wayne-Daniels

Hello welcome

Please do not hijack a users post, please create your own post in the appropriate forum related to your software.

As this is an old thread it will now be closed.

Stephen

Forum Moderator

Last changed by PATIENT-X on 5/27/2024, 9:41 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

Intel Core i5-13600K Processor 3.5GHz

Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (16GB x 2) 4800MHz DDR5

Geforce RTX2080 Founders edition

Firecuda 530 1tb SSD Nvme

Team Group T-FORCE DELTA MAX RGB LITE 2.5" 1TB SATA III

Corsair RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX 1000 Watt Power Supply

5in LCD Screen

Lian Li UNI SL120 V2 triple fans

MSI Meg Unify Z690 motherboard