MAGIX Connect - Periodic Lag Spike (10 seconds)

tescrin wrote on 3/11/2020, 8:52 AM

Basically, after a long period of trouble-shooting for what was causing high latency between my PC and my Router (but not other devices in the house) I found that MAGIX Connect's background service (presumably checking for updates) causes lag spikes jumping my connection (to the router) from 1ms to 700-1200ms about every 10 seconds. I've found this while running on Windows 10 on a Wireless Connection; though I believe it would be reproducible on a wired connection.

Note: I simply performed the below procedure each time after I killed processes 1-by-1. My wireless setup is overkill and I have a 1ms latency on my connection when things are going fine.

- take note of the default gateway number
- type a new command ping <default gateway number> -n 20*
* I like 20 because it gives a nice 5% bracketing. Good connections should be at 0% (no packet loss) and should have a fairly consistent "time" field. Additionally, I'll often end up running the command multiple times without changes just to validate whatever result I'm seeing is repeatable.

I found this highly obnoxious because I sometimes play competitive online games; so recently when I dabbled I noticed that I frequently had major lag spikes. I started my ritual of pinging the router again and was able to, via process of elimination, determine that it was MAGIX Connect. Among other things disabled in my quest I found others online claiming it was Windows Peer-to-Peer downloading, Windows automatic updates, Cortana, and a variety of other suggestions; which all remain disabled. Additionally, I had temporarily disabled Steam, Discord, Adobe update stuff, etc; and yet the lag spikes remained. But since disabling MAGIX Connect (including disabling it in startup) I have seen no more lag spikes.

I was able to find MAGIX Connect to be a potential culprit by monitoring network traffic.

The point of this post is to give notice to MAGIX to fix this; as I consider it a bug. There is absolutely no way that what is essentially a ping to a server to check its version should cause a ~1000ms lagspike; let alone 360 lag spikes an hour. That's enough to drive any gamer absolutely insane.

Attached is a picture of my pinging, with consistently low ping times, for those who would gravitate to blame my wireless card.

The magix connect version I have is 3.0.0.1 and claims it was installed in November, though I'm not sure why that'd be the case. My best guess is that it was updated in November. I do not know if previous versions had this issue or not. I will be leaving it disabled in perpetuity and am not in need of further assistance; this is simply the best place I could find to file a bug report.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 3/11/2020, 10:22 AM

@tescrin

Hi and welcome to the forum.

. . . . I found that MAGIX Connect's background service (presumably checking for updates) causes lag spikes jumping my connection (to the router) from 1ms to 700-1200ms about every 10 seconds. . . . .

Similar issues with Magix Network Sync/Connect/Updater - all the same program different names as through the years - s have been raised many times in the forum.

The solution is to uninstall Connect if you do not use it to transfer images from a mobile device using Magix Camera MX to PC - it is not required otherwise.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.