Magix 10 Project Recovery

egrullon wrote on 10/22/2018, 9:42 AM

I was working fine on an project using Magix 10 and all of a sudden the program crashed while i was editing some video files. I had everything saved. So my computer got frozen and I rebooted my PC and my project was gone. When i clicked on the project shortcut icon, no photo and video, nothing showed up. I check for a back up file in the program folder but no luck. it there an MEP file some where in my computer that i can retrieve the lost project. I put on a lot of work on this project.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 10/22/2018, 10:20 AM

Welcome to the Magix forums.

First can you please clarify exactly which Magix program you are running? You've posted to the Photo and Graphic Designer area of the forum, but write of Magix 10.  Magix is the name of the software company, not the name of an actual program!

Also, pleas read this post and give us ALL the information requested there. We may then be able to offer some assistance to you.

All the Magix programs that I have include an Autosave feature, though this has to be turned on. Did you have this set to create the autosave files? If not, why not? If you did not set the program to autosave then I fear you may well have lost your project if your computer froze/crashed and you chose to restart it without first being able to save your work.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

egrullon wrote on 10/22/2018, 11:04 AM

Hi,

The program and the specs are as follow:

PhotoStory_10_Deluxe_DLV

Processor

Small form factor (4x3) with AMD980G (RS880P + SB950) chipset

Sempron 150 (2.9GHZ , 1M Total Cache)

Athlon II X2 B24 (3.0GHZ, 2M Total Cache)

Athlon II X2 220 (2.8 GHZ, 2M Total Cache)

Athlon II X2 260 (3.2 GHZ, 2M Total Cache)

Athlon II X4 640 (3.1 GHZ, 2M Total Cache)

Athlon II X4 645 (2.8 GHZ, 1M Total Cache)

Phenom II X2 B53 (2.8 GHZ, 7M Total Cache)

Memory

1333 MHz DDR3 (Double Data Rate) dual channel memory support

PC3-10600 memory supported

Uses 2GB, 3GB, 4GB, 6GB, 8GB up to 16G memory module

Hard drive

7200RPM

(SATA2 & SATA3 ) Serial ATA supported

Supports 160GB, 250GB, 320GB, 500GB, 1TB

160 GB Flash SSD (Solid State Drive)

Graphics

ATI Onega Integrated Graphics card

Discrete ATI Radeon HD5450 with 512MB memory size

Discrete ATI Radeon HD6450 with 1024MB memory size

Discrete Nvidai Quapro NVS300 with 512MB memory size

Discrete Geforce 405 with 512MB memory size

DVD drive

DVD-ROM

DVD Recordable

Networking

Broadcom BCM5761

Windows 10 32 bit

egrullon wrote on 10/22/2018, 12:48 PM

Did you have this set to create the autosave files? If not, why not? I managed to save every time i did a modification to the project. I found a crashed project file from October 9, but i have been working since them, and i also have been hitting save at all time until yesterday October 21 when the project crashed.

emmrecs wrote on 10/22/2018, 2:43 PM

Hi.

Thanks for the additional information.

First Photostory 10 is now very old; the current version is 18.1.1.53. My strong suspicion is that such an old version is not fully compatible with Windows 10; you really should seriously consider updating to a more "modern" version!

However, I am confused as to whether you had activated the Autosave feature which is, presumably, available in Photostory 10? You say you have been saving your project "every time I did a modification" but you have no project file more recent than October 9. You say you have done additional work to the project since that date, saved your project each time, but now you do not have those saved (later) versions. Have you done a full search of all your disc drives for any files with a .MPH extension? If so, and you still find nothing, then I really cannot see that you have actually saved any more recent project files.

One other thing: I think the computer specification you quote is a generic one, with different options that are available to purchasers. For instance, you list seven different CPUs and a variety of graphics cards and RAM configurations! Your computer cannot possibly include everything on your list! So, can you find out what, exactly, your particular computer contains in terms of hardware. If you're not sure how to access this data, there is a free utility called "Speccy" which can give you a full listing of your computer's components. I have to say that i doubt very much whether this will indicate why your project crashed - although there could be a developing hardware fault (the whole spec, including mention of "Sempron" CPU does suggest the computer is also rather "old") - but the more accurate information we have, the better.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

egrullon wrote on 10/23/2018, 6:42 AM

Thank you for all your help.

egrullon wrote on 10/23/2018, 6:57 AM

One last question, if I get the new version of Movie edit Pro, can I transfer a photo story 10 project on to it?

emmrecs wrote on 10/23/2018, 9:04 AM

One last question, if I get the new version of Movie edit Pro, can I transfer a photo story 10 project on to it?

No. These are two entirely different programs, with different project files. But you could import the source images and videos to MEP and thus create a new MEP project.

OTOH, if your principal need is for work to do with slideshows then why not simply purchase the updated version of Photostory Deluxe? I think you should be able to reopen your original Photostory 10 project in the new version. However, because there have been numerous versions and updates between your version 10 and the current version 18, this is not guaranteed.

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 10/23/2018, 11:35 AM, changed a total of 2 times.