Loading wrong file for editing

SGA wrote on 2/7/2021, 11:11 AM

I have a problem capturing and editing analogue video from my old Sony camcorder.

PC details:

Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
8MB RAM
System drive C: 27.8GB free
Target drive F: 1.25TB free

MAGIX Video easy Rescue Your Videotapes!
Version 6.0.2.31 (UDP3)
UG Code 8534 KA2

If I capture a 90 minute tape in one complete pass (using the MAGIX USB capture device), then click 'Start Video Editing', the video file displayed in the edit window is from a previously captured tape, not the one just captured.

The newly captured file does appear to be stored, but even if I try to start a new project and import the newly captured mpeg file, it displays the older video, not the new one.

The newly captured file is about 3.15GB.

Please can someone advise if I have exceeded some limitation, or if this s/w is not supported in Windows 10. The package suggests it should be supported in Windows 10.

I need to be able to edit the newly captured file, but cannot find a way to do this because of the problem above. 

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 2/8/2021, 3:59 AM

@SGA

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

You are not the first to post with this problem but, essentially, this is not something caused by either RYVT or, perhaps, Windows, but rather in how you have your computer set up to "save" the incoming file, sorry!

From what you write, I am guessing that the incoming files are being saved to the exact same location as you used for that earlier project, perhaps the "default" that RYVT sets. If so, what, arguably, ought to happen is that when you create a new video file that "new" one should overwrite the "old" one whose name it shares. (That is standard Windows behaviour and should generate an on-screen message advising you of this and giving you the option to give the new file a different name; however, it appears that RYVT somehow overrides this!)

The solution is to create a new directory/folder for each project and tell RYVT that is where you want the file to be saved. It does not matter if it shares the name of a file used in a different project; the fact that it is stored elsewhere will ensure that neither is it overwritten nor is RYVT allowed to ignore it.

Or, if you do not want to create that new folder each time, you simply need to ensure that the "new" file has a unique name, created before you start the transfer.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

SGA wrote on 2/8/2021, 12:47 PM

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am not sure I follow your logic here.

In the program settings I have set F:\Steve\MAGIX_Projects as the project folder. According to the program help:

Project folder: This is the folder where MAGIX Video easy normally saves all projects and imported videos. When a project is created, a subfolder with the same name is added to help you keep everything in view.

I cannot change this Project folder setting until I have followed the program to:

Create new video project
Enter name - this already creates a (sub)folder with the name specified.
Select source e.g. select files from computer
File opens OK

But the fact is, a new folder IS already created when I enter the new project name, so it should not put captured files anywhere else, unless I have missed something. I uploaded the file structure of the Project folder, I hope you can see it OK. There is the top level folder MAGIX_projects, then sub-folders for the projects I have tried to create so far (with unique names) and inside each is a My Record folder which is where it seems to put the mpegs for the video clips.

I seem to get the problem (so far and only twice) when I try to capture a 90 minute tape in one complete run which generates a file of over 3GB. Is this likely to have any influence? The first time I had the problem, I tried again with the same tape, made a new folder, but started and stopped the recording a few times to make several smaller mpeg files. Co-incidence?

I have struggled quite a bit so far to understand this s/w. I do not find it intuitive to use, but maybe you can restore my faith!

Thanks,

emmrecs wrote on 2/8/2021, 1:36 PM

@SGA

Thanks for the detailed additional information.

It would be interesting to see a listing of the actual content of a couple of those folders. Can you show that?

If the correct (wanted) file is in the correct folder, have you tried simply double-clicking it (with RYVT closed)? Does it then open in the program?

I don't have and have never used RYVT but I would be surprised if the size of the captured file is contributing to the problem unless your Win 10 is 32 bit. You haven't actually said whether you are running the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Win 10; 32 bit does impose a size limit, I think it is about 2GB.

On my machine, running Win 10, 64 bit, I quite regularly deal with single files of anything up to 30GB or more, without problem.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

SGA wrote on 2/9/2021, 3:57 PM

Hi again Jeff

First thing, apologies, I forgot to mention that I have 64bit W10, that's why I can use 8GB RAM.

I have uploaded screenshots of the folder contents of a couple of projects. Tape 2 works OK, but tape 3 is the one I have a problem with. There seems to be a root folder per project, then a 'My Record' subfolder where the mpeg(s) is stored with another HDP file per mpeg which has a type MAGIX sounds.

I currently have mpegs associated with VLC player and the ones in these folders will open OK in that program.

If I right click the problem mpeg file (tape 3) and try to open with MAGIX RYVT, it opens RYVT at the welcome screen where I have to choose New Project, Load project or watch intro video. If I go for load project I get a Load Project window which looks for file type .MVY (amongst others). This now brings up a blank screen in the edit window.

Do you have any contacts that do use this s/w?

CubeAce wrote on 2/9/2021, 5:32 PM

Hi SGA.

I have serious doubts that most of the contributors here use RYVT or its predecessor as most of us are either using Movie Edit Pro Premium or Plus or VPX which can do the same job with an adequate video converter.

I find it curious that on the MAGIX site that it is not possible to download a trial version of buy it with an explanation that it is sold out. This happened also to the Video Easy program some time back and has never been re-offered again for sale.

My personal take on this is that it is in fact no longer supported by MAGIX but no-one so far to my knowledge has contacted Magix to find out if this is the case or not. It could be that their supply of convertors has run out and due to current political decisions can't procure more at present but I find that hard to believe. I may be wrong and would be glad to be wrong but something doesn't seem right. I'm not sure when the last version of RYVT came out but Rescue your Video tapes has not had an update or a new version for some time. To me they both look abandoned.

As to your current problem, I'm at a slight loss.

Have you moved the location of the folders or their contents at any time?

Your second screen shot is not giving the details of the sizes of the files involved. You also seem to have two folders each for each of two projects.

Ray.

Last changed by CubeAce on 2/10/2021, 9:07 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 22H2 OS build 19045.4894

Direct X 12.1 latest hardware updates for Western Digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2130 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1000 watt EVGA modular power supply.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.81 - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

Running MMS 2024 Suite v 23.0.1.182 (UDP3) and VPX 14 - v20.0.3.180 (UDP3)

M Audio Axiom AIR Mini MIDI keyboard Ver 5.10.0.3507

VXP 14, MMS 2024 Suite, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio. Mixcraft Pro 10 Studio.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Ram Acoustic Studio speakers amplified by NAD amplifier.

Rogers LS7 speakers run from Cambridge Audio P50 amplifier

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

browj2 wrote on 2/9/2021, 6:23 PM

@SGA

Hi,

First, the MVY files are project files which contain your video recordings - the mpeg files.

If you try to open an mpeg file by right-clicking on it and trying to open it in RYVT, you will be opening a new project containing that mpeg file. Do not do this. Your computer and RYVT do not know that this file should be with a particular project. It could be in 50 projects - your computer does not know this.

You have to open the project file - xxx.MVY - by simply double-clicking on it, or by opening MVY and loading the project - not an mpeg file.. This will open the project and it should show you the recorded mpeg files that were in the project. You always edit the MVY project. This is where you order the imported files, do transitions, titles, etc. When you're done, you Export to something, usually MP4. You can always go back and edit the project by opening the MVY project file.

That said, RYVT is like Movie Edit Pro and every other video editor in that it is project-based and non-destructive. You import the files into the project - the project uses that file but never modifies it, no matter what you do in the project, and the file has to remain on your hard drive with the same name and location otherwise RYVT will not find it the next time you open a project.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

SGA wrote on 2/10/2021, 9:01 AM

Hi All

Thanks for the help so far. To answer some points made and add some questions:

If I switch to one of the alternative video edit programs you mention, do these support use of the MAGIX USB video capture device I got with RYVT?

I will have to try contacting MAGIX to find out what support is available.

The only time I moved anything was during my first test of the s/w I switched the project folder location to a bigger drive in program options and everything since then has gone into that folder (and subfolders per project) except for the disk image files for DVD burning. I don't recall any options at install time to specify the default folder locations.

I have tried making a copy of the mpeg file from the capture onto my desktop, deleted the project folder and started a new project with a different name, then loaded the saved mpeg file from my desktop. When I play the video, the sound is correct for the loaded file but the video seems to get mixed up with a previously saved project video file. It switches between the 2 at different points in the timeline. Weird! BTW this mpeg file plays fine using VLC.

I suppose the obvious thing is to un-/re-install the s/w and if I still have problems it is probably trash time unless anyone has other ideas? I can't even return it for refund now - I am outside the window.

Steve