Licensing Catooh/MMJ Styles

James-Meehan wrote on 7/10/2018, 8:41 AM

Hi all.

I'd just like to try and confirm things here in regards to licensing. I've looked at many posts but still not found a definitive answer licensing queries.

I use Music Maker Jam on my phone. I've purchased many styles. On the Catooh website, these styles are also available for purchase and it states that the license (for most) is Audio Pro Unlimited WAV.

With this in mind; could it be understood that if I purchased a style on MMJ that has this included on the purchase of the same style on Catooh that I have this license and can use my compositions under the rules of the licensing terms here: https://www.catooh.com/uk/help_-_license_terms.270.html

Confirmation would be appreciated. I hope I have been as clear as possible.

JM

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 10/12/2018, 9:24 AM

Hi James,

JAM have published their own blog post on commercial use of the content, which includes an additional stipulation you might find interesting (regarding the revenue limit you need to hit before you even need to purchase a commercial license):

http://musicmakerjam.tumblr.com/post/158776941725/how-to-monetize-your-music

Hopefully this answers your question.

Normal_mmj_user wrote on 5/29/2023, 8:50 PM

Okay im asking so i don't get sued but do you mind if i post a few of the songs i made on music maker jam and was making a band called infinite vortex and was wondering if you could grant me to use the music i make and post them publicly for money and i will give you 25% of the money and im still young so it will take a while for me to start my career

With much music to make, Grant

johnebaker wrote on 5/30/2023, 3:19 AM

@Normal_mmj_user

Hi Grant

Please note this is a user to user forum, not Magix Sales or Support, so we cannot grant you anything.

Music Maker Jam is now owned by Loudly and according to their Terms and Conditions of Use the content, ie Soundpools/loops, may be used only for non-commercial purposes, they do not offer commercial use licences.

For commercial purposes, you need to use other software, such as Magix Music Maker, which is free, however you would need to purchase the Premium Edition to get the necessary extra features for music production.

Additionally if using Soundpool loops you also will have to purchase commercial use licences for all the Soundpool loops used in your music.

If you can create your music, without using loops, using Virtual instruments, which you can play using a MIDI keyboard or score in the MIDI Editor, then there is no issue with having to pay for commercial licences or royalties.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 5/30/2023, 3:20 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

clency-easterling wrote on 6/20/2023, 2:50 PM

I am COMPLETELY baffled when it comes to licensing. I have been using MMM Premium Editions since 2014 and am looking forward to MMM 2024. Someone recently heard one of my compositions using loops from 2014 through 2023 and asked why I'm not thinking about going commercial. I would LOVE to, however, I've been trying to no avail to understand the MMM licensing strategy for the last four months. Can someone produce a "Licensing MMM Premium for Dummies" so that myself, and I'm sure many others can get to the bottom line? Just looking for clarity...

Thanks!

Clency

SP. wrote on 6/20/2023, 2:56 PM

@clency-easterling You go to Producerplanet.com and buy the commercial license once for every Soundpool you used in your songs.

After that, you can release your songs on streaming services, in YouTube videos with ads, sell them on CDs or vinyl or Bandcamp etc.

Without a commercial license you can only use the loops for fun at home.

clency-easterling wrote on 6/20/2023, 3:12 PM

So, I need a license for the "particular" soundpool which would include all of the instrument loops contained in that soundpool? Then, I would be clear to go commercial if I wished?

SP. wrote on 6/20/2023, 3:18 PM

@clency-easterling Correct.

clency-easterling wrote on 6/20/2023, 4:02 PM

THANKS!!!