Key frames in audio

Greg123 wrote on 2/22/2024, 5:36 PM

for Movie Studio 2022 Suite,

I cannot find key frames in audio editing where I could - say - lower the volume in selected - by 2 key frames - area on a timeline Another disappointment comparing to Studio 2016 where it was easy to find and apply ! The only reason I changed to Studio 2022 Suite is that it can handle 4k video...( Studio 2016 couldn't) ,other than that it's much more complicated at NOT user friendly.😳😧

Is anybody who knows how to do it??

thank you very much☺️

Comments

CubeAce wrote on 2/22/2024, 6:31 PM

@Greg123

It's in the Audio effects section.

Place your cursor on the timeline where you want to change a level or control position or amount of effect with the relevant control and add a key frame.

Or you can record live movements of the mixer in play if you have the Auto button active. Hold down the left mouse button while on the appropriate track slider or rotary control. You can over-write the position if need be on any subsequent pass.

Curves can also be hand drawn using the curve tool.

Do be careful though as all could be present at once on the same track if prior curve sets of instructions are not reset.

Yes, with more choice can come more complexity but one work flow may be preferred over another by any individual.

Ray.

Last changed by CubeAce on 2/22/2024, 6:54 PM, changed a total of 6 times.

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 22H2 OS build 19045.5011

Direct X 12.1 latest hardware updates for Western Digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2130 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1000 watt EVGA modular power supply.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.81 - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

Running MMS 2024 Suite v 23.0.1.182 (UDP3) and VPX 14 - v20.0.3.180 (UDP3)

M Audio Axiom AIR Mini MIDI keyboard Ver 5.10.0.3507

VXP 14, MMS 2024 Suite, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio. Mixcraft Pro 10 Studio.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Ram Acoustic Studio speakers amplified by NAD amplifier.

Rogers LS7 speakers run from Cambridge Audio P50 amplifier

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

Greg123 wrote on 2/23/2024, 9:25 AM

thank you but, I don't have anything in Extra Effects (A Video effects plug-in could not be found)

browj2 wrote on 2/23/2024, 9:31 AM

@Greg123

Hi,

That is Audio Effects, not Extra Effects. More later.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

browj2 wrote on 2/23/2024, 10:14 AM

@Greg123

Hi,

See my last post.

I suggest that you watch my tutorials on Everything Audio - both parts - in which I cover volume curves.

Movie Studio has extensive audio features. What Ray has shown you are 2 of them.

Vegas Movie Studio only allowed track level volume curves (envelopes) with keyframes. Magix Movie Studio has object (event) level volume curves plus track level volume curves. The object level volume curve is directly tied to the Audio Effects/General/Volume slider and keyframes. If you turn on the Volume Curve by right-clicking on the audio object, the keyframe area in the Effects window will show up.

I am going to assume that you are putting Video and Audio on separate tracks. If not, do so by changing the parameter in Program Settings. For any video objects already on the timeline with both AV on one track, use Ctrl+H.

Here is a listing of various ways to adjust the volume in MMS:

1. The middle handle of the audio object adjusts the volume of the object
  2. The left and right handles do fades
  3. Right-click the audio object, Set volume to raise or lower the above middle handle by preset values
  4. Right-click the audio object, Volume curve allows you to put points (keyframes) on the curve, either directly or under Audio Effects/General/Volume slider and keyframes
  5. Right-click the audio object or an empty area of a track, Display track curves turns on the track volume and pan curves. You can manually place keyframes and drag them up and down or use Automation in the Mixer as indicated by Ray
  6. Right click on an audio object, Decrease Volume - for ducking/damping other tracks over the duration of the selected audio object. This puts points on the track curve, so the object should not be moved somewhere else along the timeline, in other words, to be done after all editing affecting object locations on the timeline
  7. In the Mixer, turn on automation and adjust the volume slider during playback. This creates points on the track curve
  8. In the Mixer - track slider to adjust overall volume of the track if Automation is turned off
  9. In the Mixer - Master strip slider to adjust overall volume at the end

You may also want to consider compression, which can lower or compress audio peaks.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Greg123 wrote on 2/23/2024, 10:34 AM

I found other way to do it, without key frames ! I simply cut audio path on the timeline in couple places and adjusted volume in each part...works (almost) like key frames...

browj2 wrote on 2/23/2024, 11:56 AM

@Greg123

Hi,

Yes, that is one way.

Here is what I usually do. The first modification was done by clicking on the curve and dragging the points down. But, to be faster, in the second case where you see a lot of points, I go into Curve mode and quickly draw over the audio object where needed. That way I can go along the timeline and draw wherever I see spikes. The volume curve gets automatically turned on when you draw on an audio object, so one must not forget to go back to normal mouse mode when done.

John CB

John C.B.

johnebaker wrote on 2/23/2024, 12:45 PM

@Greg123

Hi

. . . . I simply cut audio path on the timeline in couple places and adjusted volume in each part . . .

As @browj2 commented that is a different method, however IMHO, it is potentially fraught with issues when you start moving objects around.

I use the right-click audio and select Volume Curve option to turn the curve on and, when the mouse pointer changes to a black arrow head when hovering over the green curve, double left click to add nodes.

The nodes can then be dragged in the appropriate directions to control the start/end positions and decrease/increase in audio levels, with practice and a visible waveform it is quick and easy.

It has the added advantage that the audio file is all in one piece, which makes moving the audio easy.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 2/23/2024, 12:46 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Greg123 wrote on 2/23/2024, 1:39 PM

Thank you John EB, I found it, used it, it's almost as easy as in Studio 2016 now !. ☺️

The way John CB explained it is like reading a furniture assembly instruction ( American and Chinese), where even someone with handyman skills has no idea what they were writing about.😁 😳

browj2 wrote on 2/23/2024, 3:41 PM

@Greg123

Hi,

The way John CB explained it is like reading a furniture assembly instruction ( American and Chinese), where even someone with handyman skills has no idea what they were writing about.

I didn't really explain it. but I did give you an image. I assumed incorrectly that the rest would be intuitive.

In the numbered part, I gave you a listing of all of the different ways that audio volume can be modified in the program. Point 4 was about getting the object volume curve with a quick indication as to how to use it.

Even in my tutorials on Everything Audio, which you should still watch, I only cover things quickly or the videos would be 2 hours long each. The intention is to get an overview as to what is available, not details on how to user everything.

It seems that you need details. A video would be best, but here is the gist of it which I will eventually turn into a video tutorial.

To complement what John EB and Ray gave you, once you turn on the volume curve, you click on the green line when the hand cursor changes to an arrow to place a point. If the mouse is not over the green line, you won't get the hand cursor. Then you can drag the point up/down left/right but not over or past any other existing point. Note the arrow cursor circled in the image below.

Another way to do this without having to turn on the Volume Curve is to switch to Curve mode as Ray and I pointed out. This is faster if you have a lot of adjustments to do.

In the image below, right-click on the button to get the menu and select Curve or use shortcut 9 (from your keyboard, not the numbers pad). You are now in drawing mode for audio.

On any audio object, just start drawing where you want to adjust the curve by holding down the left mouse button. If you keep holding down the mouse button and move, you'll get a lot of point. To get fewer points, just hold down the mouse button and drag a tiny bit then release. It takes a bit of practice. There is no need to select the object (in fact, you cannot select an object when in Curve mode) and no need to turn on the volume curve as it will automatically turn on.

Points will be placed as you drag the cursor along and up and down. This is faster than placing points manually. Shortcut 6 to get out of Curve mode, and back to normal mouse mode. Now you can modify the points - select and drag, select and delete, or click on line to add points.

You can stop there, but you should learn how this all works together with the Audio Effects because you can fine-tune there or create and modify there.

In Effects, Audio Effects, General, look at the Volume slider and the keyframe area (that is at the bottom of the Effects window). In the image below, I had to zoom in on the keyframe area to see individual points because I created too many points using the Curve mode.

In the image above, I have circled a point on the curve in the timeline. It is the same point that is circled in the keyframe area in the Audio Effect for Volume, and the value, 54, is shown at the right of the Volume slider. Follow the arrows.

You can adjust the volume of that point by dragging it in the timeline curve or by moving the Volume Slider, or by typing a value into the box at the right of the Volume slider. You can move the point along the timeline by dragging it in the timeline curve or by dragging the point in the keyframe area, however, you cannot drag it over or past another point. You can add points directly in the keyframe area. If you don't know anything about the keyframe area, I have a tutorial that shows how to use this in detail.

Note that default volume shown at the right of the Volume Slider is 100 (0 means volume off). This corresponds to points on the curve at the top of the object. You cannot use these points to increase the volume above the original volume. To raise the overall volume of the object, you have to use the middle handle of the object as shown below. I have raised the overall object volume by 5.0 dB. This is a relative adjustment, not absolute. If you raise the volume too much, you'll get clipping.

Here is another difference from Vegas that is related to the above. Vegas has switch for normalization. I have never been able to figure out how that works. Normalize is not a switch, it's a volume adjustment. In MMS, if you normalize the object audio (right-click on the audio object, Normalize), and if the maximum or loudest part is less than 0 dBfs, then the slider in the above image will rise above 0 (the volume line, not curve, is in the middle of the object). This way you know by how much the volume has been raised due to normalization and you should not exceed this level or you will get clipping. When I normalize, I always drag the object volume slider down by at least 1 dB. If there is audio on any other track at that point, then I'll probably getting clipping and I don't want clipping.

There is a lot to learn.

John CB

John C.B.