Installing the latest version - deinstall the old?

discburn wrote on 6/11/2020, 1:48 AM

I've just purchased Xara Designer Pro (X17 I believe is the new version). I got the upgrade, but they tell me it is a completely new package.

I already have Xara Designer Pro X11, mostly for making websites.

Should I deinstall my current version before installing the new one? Or should I wait until I have the new one up and running before deinstalling the old one?

(Maybe the new one will install over the old one?)

Basically, I don't want to lose any of my new website that I'm making, but I'd like to add in the new 'scale to fit width' functionality that I don't have at present.

Thanks,

Seamus

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 6/11/2020, 4:50 AM

@discburn

All recent Magix products seem to automatically remove the immediate-predecessor version when you install an upgrade. IOW, if you already had XDP X16 and came to install X17, it would almost certainly remove the older version first.

In your case, when that older version is several upgrades "behind", my suspicion is that the upgrade will leave it untouched, especially if the older one is 32 bit and the newer 64 bit.

Unless you really need to free up some space on your hard drive I would leave the old version installed, at least until you are completely happy that the new version does everything you need it to do.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

discburn wrote on 6/11/2020, 5:11 AM

Thanks, Jeff. I'll do that!

I didn't realise the Magix community were Xara users, too. Great to come here for advice other than video, audio, etc.

Seamus

browj2 wrote on 6/14/2020, 9:34 AM

@discburn

Hi Seamus,

There is also a dedicated forum for Xara called TalkGraphics. I suggest that you join up. There is a wealth of information.

I agree with what Jeff said, leave version 11 on your computer.

With v17, make sure to download all of the stuff on in the On-line catalogue before your Update Service expires.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

discburn wrote on 6/15/2020, 1:42 AM

Thanks for that, John CB. Will do!

Seamus

emmrecs wrote on 12/4/2020, 1:24 PM

@alex-p1438

With apologies for this, but this is the second post you have made recently with questions that are nothing to do with the subject of the original post that started this thread. The request to you is the same: please do not hijack another user's thread but rather start a new thread with your question, making sure you include full details of your computer hardware and software and the exact version and build of XDP X11 which you have.

In the meantime, your post here has been hidden.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam