independence pro stopped playing midi in Logic Pro

mhawkins wrote on 7/5/2022, 5:55 AM

Have latest version of independence pro with Logic Pro x 10.7.4 on 2020 27" iMac with OS Monterey 12.4

Working well for months until suddenly will not play back recorded midi (had not installed any new upgrades at that time, only upgraded to 12.4 after the problem, but it didn't help )

All logic software instruments and 3rd party au instruments (Omnisphere VSL etc ) will play the midi part perfectly on this channel strip

Will play sounds from keyboard on independence window and this shows in channel strip

Have tried every combination of midi port and channel setting and nothing works

Most grateful for any help

Mike

Comments

SP. wrote on 7/5/2022, 6:18 AM

@mhawkins Maybe there is an incorrect MIDI channel filter on your instrument layer? Have you tried to set it to "All" to catch every MIDI event?

mhawkins wrote on 7/8/2022, 12:24 AM

In the channel strip on logic i've tried changing all midi settings to All as well as port settings to All

Is there some midi setting on Independence that needs changing ?

mhawkins wrote on 7/8/2022, 1:12 AM

I Just found the midi channel select in the independence layer - unfortunately setting to All or any other channel didn't work

Weird thing is that if I use the mouse to play the keyboard in the independence window I can hear the audio and the channel strip is receiving midi

It just won't play the recorded midi when every other software instrument will

Truly stumped

SP. wrote on 7/8/2022, 4:44 AM

@mhawkins Yes, you can hear the audio because the MIDI is generated inside Independence and it seems the audio output works fine only the MIDI input seems broken. Maybe there is some incompatibility.

I have two ideas.

Firstly, you could try Best Service Engine. It uses the same codebase as Independence but is updated more often. If it runs fine in your DAW then there is probably a bug in Independence that Magix needs to fix.

https://www.bestservice.com/downloads.html

https://www.bestservice.com/engine_artists_library.html

Secondly, you could try to load Independence in a meta-plugin (a plugin that can load other plugins), to see if it works. Plugins like Unifiy or New Sonic Arts Freestyle offer free demo version to try them out.

https://www.pluginguru.com/products/unify-demo/

https://www.newsonicarts.com/html/freestyle.php

mhawkins wrote on 7/8/2022, 8:25 PM

OK

Will try your suggestions

Many thanks for your help

mhawkins wrote on 8/31/2022, 7:50 AM

Sorry not to have replied earlier

tried your suggestions but wasn't able to make it work

Tried Independence Standalone and this works with midi keyboard - had to go into independence drop down menu and choose midi preferences - 32 ins and outs selected channel 01 to keyboard and worked fine

Trouble is there is no similar midi preference selection in the VST window only midi channel select which I have tried set to every possible channel as well as All with no joy

Is this likely a Logic bug with OS Monterey ? - my laptop with High Sierra plays the old independence Bass programmes without a hitch

Thanks again for your help

mhawkins wrote on 8/31/2022, 7:52 AM

Sorry that's - no Midi preference selection in the VST window as it opens in Logic Pro

SP. wrote on 8/31/2022, 8:07 AM

@mhawkins You need to set the MIDI channel input on the track on which Independence is loaded as a plugin.

johnebaker wrote on 8/31/2022, 12:08 PM

@mhawkins

Hi

. . . . Independence Standalone and this works . . . . Is this likely a Logic bug with OS Monterey ? . . . .

As you have verified Independence standalone is working correctly on your MAC, the issue is most likely with Logic Pro and VST usage, and should be dealt with in the appropriate Apple forum/support for this software.

This topic will be closed.

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/31/2022, 12:09 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.