In-app updater file - where is it stored on Win 10 computer?

Douglas_W wrote on 2/5/2019, 11:18 PM

Greetings! I own a number of Magix apps, and I know where mxupdate files for other apps are stored when downloaded, and where Magix download EXEs are placed. However, I cannot find where the most recent update EXE to my PhotoStory Deluxe was placed on my PC. I like to keep local copies of updates and patches as opposed to relying upon the online updater service... just in case. Yes, it is a purchased version with a valid serial number.

Can anyone help me with where on my PC the latest PhotoStory updater is saved when doing the online update action? Or does it delete itself after the in-app update process? I have PhotoStory Deluxe v18.1.1.x (can't recall the exact full version), and this evening it was just updated to v18.1.2.48. Where did the updater installer get saved on my computer so I can archive it? (Windows 10 PC)

There is no patch file available on Magix.info for this most recent version, so I can't get it by DLing a patch. The most recent "trial" version full installer is also a slightly older version, so that won't work either. Looking for the in-app updater that I just applied earlier this evening, but I can't now find on my PC the installer file that it used!

Thanks so much for any and all help! Doug W.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 2/6/2019, 3:33 AM

@Douglas_W

Hi

. . . . does it delete itself after the in-app update process . . . .

Patches and upgrade installs are deleted on completion.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Douglas_W wrote on 2/6/2019, 12:45 PM

Thanks, John EB. Unfortunate that this is the case... I am one of those folks that likes to have my own copies of the most current things for the software that I have bought. I still might try to find it by searching on file date-time stamp right just before I allow the in-app update to proceed. It's gotta be there somewhere! 🔎 But that is for another day. 🙂

But thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. Nice to know that there is an active forum community available here! I also have relied upon another great software company community forum (Serif in UK) for great help and information over many years. I hope to be of help here as well as time goes along. Be well! Doug W.

emmrecs wrote on 2/6/2019, 2:11 PM

@Douglas_W

As one user of the Serif and Affinity forums to another, welcome! This is a very friendly place, overall, considerably more active than the Serif legacy products forum, perhaps not as "busy" as the Affinity ones! I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

shgrude wrote on 2/6/2019, 3:27 PM

@Douglas_W

I have managed to copy some of the updater executables before they got deleted, however I am not sure it is OK to post the procedure here in the forums.

Although I have managed to save this file, I have not tried using it and I know for a fact that it is called during update With a "bunch" of parameters that I have not saved. So it may not be useful at all. And it possibly also downloads during its execution, of which I do not know.

Any advice on this @emmrecs, @johnebaker, if it is allowed to prpovide an answer to the OP?

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bits) OS 19041.450 (2004)
Memory: 64GB
Sound Card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 1920x1080 6GB