Import video in pre-defined segments (scene cuts)

thefcaa wrote on 3/20/2009, 12:54 PM
Question: How Can I import a video file into pre-defined segments (say 30sec) each or how do I cut up a single video file(from hard drive camcorder) into many segments using Movie Edit Pro 14? 

Ok- I have made numerous hight light videos of sporting events and as the workload got heavier, I made the decision to move to a hard drive camcorder from using a mini dv camcorder.   I found that Movie Edit Pro 14 eliminated 100's of hours of rendering video from the camcorder to the computer.  My problem is that I used pinnacle in the past, which allows movie rendering in segments.  

So now I  am coming from  being able to look at  video footage and only take the 2-4 seconds of a player's hightlight, and moved to a situation where the hard drive camcorder transfer dumps the entire 3gb video in a single file on my computer.  Now I can create game tape in less than 1 hour from hdd cam(*.MOD) to web(*.flv) but I have completely lost the ability to create high light reels.  Hate to have to go back to mini dv for this, so anything you know is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 3/23/2009, 12:27 PM
I get a little confused and I'm not completely sure whether that's what you're asking for, but it seems that all you might need is the simple split video function, which you can e.g. reach via the "T" key on your keyboard. This way you can cut up the long, consistent video object into many objects, which you can then arrange or delete as desired. Naturally, it's all purely virtual, non-destructive editing in Movie Edit Pro. So, you're never touching or damaging your source file(s) and could bring them in again. So, just place your cursor wherever you need a cut and hit "T".

I hope this is the info you were looking for.