import avi file created with Windows Movie Maker, audio garbled

lindalamarca wrote on 8/8/2009, 5:25 PM

Before buying Movie Edit Pro, I created a slideshow with audio using Windows Movie Maker.  When I import the avi file created by Movie Maker into Movie Edit Pro, the audio sounds garbled, like the music is slowed down a few bpm.   Is there something I can do in Movie Edit Pro to fix the audio?  Or do I have to create the slideshow from scratch?

Comments

dagunster wrote on 8/10/2009, 4:09 PM
It kinda sounds like you do not have enough RAM.  -1- GB is probably not enough, especially with Vista.

It may sound garbled inside of Movie Edit Pro - but I'll bet it will be okay when you export to a final product.

You can try 'ungrouping' the video from the audio, then working the audio separately.
ralftaro wrote on 8/11/2009, 4:02 AM
Hi there,

What export format exactly are you picking when exporting from Windows Movie Maker (i.e. the video and audio codec you're using in your AVI file)? Any chance we're actually talking about a DV AVI file here? Movie Edit Pro doesn't seem to like some DV AVI type I files, with the result being garbled audio after import. You should try the following free too (DVdate) to convert the files to DV AVI type II:

http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm

It's quick and doesn't cause a quality loss, since it basically just changes some header information and doesn't actually re-encode your file.

Maybe you can also try a different output format from Movie Maker to get the project across to Movie Edit Pro.

I hope this helps!

lindalamarca wrote on 8/12/2009, 2:01 PM
Thanks for responding!

I re-saved the file from Windows Movie Maker to a WMV file and that worked perfectly.

Thanks for the suggestions.