I need help saving a page

gary-tayman wrote on 12/4/2020, 9:19 PM

Hi folks,

This might sound stupid, but please bear in mind that I don't write websites all day long. I'm just trying to write a page or two and not mess things up.

I'n using Xara Web Designer Pro 16. I'm rewriting my website one page at a time, and editing accordingly. I just finished a big page full of tables and am ready to upload. I've saved the page as DVC, but when I export it the default title is Index. I believe if I save it this way, even if I change the name to something else, it will save all the supporting files in the Index folder, erasing the legitimate Index page files. I know SOMEWHERE I can change the name to DVC, but where? I've done it before (it prompts me are you sure?) but it's been a long time and I can't find where. Ideas anyone?

EDIT: I'm going to try and clarify. My website, already existing, has several pages. It has taken years to write, and I update them as I have time -- one page at a time. Xara provides a format where you make a site within Xara that's however many pages within the site. I can't do that; I need each page to be by itself. I know it can be done because I've written several other pages, but it was some time ago. The new page I wrote is one single page, saved as DVC. But when I export website, it tries to title it Index. I don't WANT to replace my Index page; I want to export it as DVC, with DVC supporting files folder and the whole bit. I know I need to change this title somewhere in the program, where do I go?

There's another issue as well. Whenever I try to view the page, it tells me the page has fonts that are not supported but are downloadable. Uh, procedure please?

Thanks!

Comments

alex-p1438 wrote on 12/7/2020, 12:12 PM

I have a similar problem. Tell me how to save a simple HTML page I know, but how to save the page and its contents? (js, css, images.)
Do I need to manually add a link for each image?

johnebaker wrote on 12/7/2020, 1:08 PM

@gary-tayman

Hi

if your site is not a private one can you post a link to it so we can see what we are dealing with before commenting?

Thanks

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

johnebaker wrote on 12/7/2020, 1:15 PM

@alex-p1438

Hi

Your comment is on a different topic to the OP's, hijacking another users topic is considered bad forum etiquette.

From the little information you have given I would advise to:

1. Do some basic research on HTML what it is and how it works - Google is your friend on this.

2. Read the manual for the program, this covers most of basics of how to use it and export/publish web pages from it.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

gary-tayman wrote on 12/7/2020, 2:01 PM

Since I'm the original poster here, let me try and explain where we are, and try to answer the other question.

First off, I posted this, then later found that better support for Xara Web Designer questions is available at talkgraphics.com. I got plenty of answers immediately and the issue is resolved. I also found that everything I was using in Pro is included in Premium, with a much smaller price tag. I upgraded the Premium version and deleted the rest, and suddenly everything is much cleaner and is running more smoothly.

As for saving the HTML page, here's what we have: web pages are written in the HTML language. Most of it is quite restricted, meaning difficult to make graphics look the way you want, etc. It can be done but it's a nightmare. Xara Web Designer is a new software program that does all the nightmare stuff, and you design your page not unlike the way you make pages in Publisher or similar means. When you save it,the page is saved in Xara's own format. To upload you need to Export To Website. It will save the page in an HTML format. But -- what about all the graphics, photos, and the nightmare stuff? It stores all that in a folder with the same name as the page. If your page name is webstuff, you will see a corresponding folder called webstuff files, or something like that. Your next step is to use CoreFTP, or similar other FTP program. Upload the webstuff file itself. Then, select the webstuff files folder and upload that. with the folder, WHOA! It will upload lots and lots of files -- most are only 50 bytes or 124 bytes or 75 bytes, but there are a LOT of 'em. Go get a glass of iced tea and take a few sips while it's all uploading. Once finished, you'll have your web page and all of its supporting files in place. Go to a browser and search for your webstuff page, it should come up with all the graphics and formatting in place. Bada bing.

Hope this helps!