I have a website up and running with website builder. I was told I can save it as FTP and upload the entire site to web designer 9 keeping my site intact and then able to view it on mobile phones. Has anyone done this or knows how?

zcre8or wrote on 9/16/2013, 5:36 PM

I was told I could save my working website, built with website builder as FTP then upload the entire site into web designer 9. It would then be visible on mobile devices .

Does anyone know anything about this and how to do it?

Don't want to lose my working website and have to start all over again.

Comments

gandjcarr wrote on 9/17/2013, 7:30 PM

Hi,

I am a little confused about what you want to do.  You can't save your web site using FTP, only download it from your existing host server using FTP (File Transfer Protocol) to copy the files to your PC.  If that is what you want to do, you need to download a FTP client such as Filezilla (which is free), log in to your hosting account and transfer the files to your computer.  I don't use Website Builder, just Xara Web Designer so I can't be sure if the files and file structure are compatible (although they likely are).  If I understand you correctly, I think you are saying that you would then like to use Web Designer 9 to re-create the site with Android and or iOS functionality.  Once you have done this you plan to upload the re-designed site via FTP to your host account.

Please let me know if this is all correct.

George

zcre8or wrote on 9/19/2013, 3:15 AM

George,

Thanks for the response. The site I built on website maker deluxe is in Flash. That must have been what support was trying to explain. Magix told me I could not add a java script into my site so as I could redirect to my mobile site because it doesn't have scripting ability. They said "that is not going to be possible with the website maker or their hosting. For that type of access, I would need to use hosting that supports scripting." I just want to be present on mobile devices. I am programmer illiterate. Built my site by drag and drop (color by numbers) and a descent, well working one at that, for my first try, I must say. Seems I've hit a wall trying to get this figured out, way beyond my knowledge. But willing and able to learn.

Question, if I download my files via FTP onto my computer like you were saying, is that copying the files and leaving my website up and running while I experiment with web designer? Or, Is it actually taking them off magix entirely leaving an empty site?

Any help would be appreciated.

gandjcarr wrote on 9/19/2013, 12:14 PM

Hi,

I was afraid that Magix hosting does not support scripting.  That's probably why I don't use them to host any of my sites that are anything more complex than a very basic web site.  WebSite maker while very good for people who want a basic site using a online web site building app, lacks the ability to grow with you as your needs change.

Hopefully you did not acquire your domain name through Magix and just use their hosting because they do not issue domain name renewall notices and it is not clear to me how to even go about renewing a domain name with Magix Online.  So your domain expires, you have no idea how to renew it and even though your host site is still active, no one can see your site.  I have had to give up the domain name and recreate the site under another name more than once.  I am not sure what that is about, but if Magix wants to stay in that business they had best do something with their renewall process.  Not a huge deal for me, but it could be a little disconcerting for people who think they have a site on the web, only to find out that no one can see it.

With filezilla you should be able to simply copy your files and folders from the host directory into a directory on your PC.  After you have done that, I cannot see how you will be able to import those files into web designer 9 without doing it one page at a time.  I have just spent about 20 minutes trying to do it and have had no success.

Here is quick youtube video on how to do the transfer.  Just remember to download the "FileZilla Client" not the FileZilla Server".

Good luck and sorry I could not be of more help.  You could design your site for mobile using Web Designer 9, then put a link in your current site to the mobile one, or just change your host provider to one that does host scripts and start over using Web Designer.   I know this answer sucks and is not what you hoped to hear, but perhaps someone who has started with the Website builder on line product has been able to successfully transition to a more complex web approach will come in to this discussion.

I wish you well and hope that it all works out for you in the end.  Please know that no one here works for Magix, we are all really just users helping other users.

George

johnebaker wrote on 9/20/2013, 1:41 AM

Hi

. . . . I was afraid that Magix hosting does not support scripting . . . .

@ George - this applies to server side scripting only - javascript (as opposed to java) runs in the browser not on the server.

. . . . Magix told me I could not add a java script into my site . . . 

IIRC this is a limitation of the Website Maker - it dos not allow insertion of scripts.

It is possible to detect the browser type with javascript in the browser and redirect to the correct pages, however it is messy, needs to be regularly updated and not for those who are not in to scripting.

For reliable detection you need to run scripting on the hosting server, which as Magix and George say is not supported by Magix hosting - if you are looking for a new hosting provider you need support for 'server side scripting'.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 9/20/2013, 1:41 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

MiltonASpencer wrote on 1/20/2014, 2:31 AM

It true you have create wesite by your Website Builder they give you your complete website FTP detail but you have concern with your website builder/Mobile Website Builder  whatever you site are mobile responsive or not.