I have a JVC that records .MOD files. I renamed them to .MPG, but when I try to open it in edit pro 14, it tells me there is an error in module MPEG2.DLL

yak54 wrote on 3/4/2009, 9:35 AM
I have a JVC that records in .MOD and .MOI.  I was using cyberlink, but got fed up as it always jammed up.  I was told to change the file name to .MPG, but when I try to open in Magix it gives me the error above and has to close.
Any help?
Thanks,
Brian

Comments

feluraunt wrote on 3/5/2009, 10:12 AM
 Are .mod files really .mpg files?

That is something you need to ask JVC... renaming a file can destroy its structure, it is possible that the MPEG2.DLL cannot read the format... yet you have fooled Windows in thinking the format is MPEG-2..

I don't have any .mod or .moi video to play with so I couldn’t tell you. I know there is this program called G-Spot (I didn't name it) that I use to identify what codec was used on a particular video (that way I can make adjustments)

Also, in the Movie Edit Pro software, have you made sure to update the codecs? Under help there is an area to activate additional feature... maybe it just needs activated. 

If that is not it, I am afraid that it needs to be something to talk to tech support.
ralftaro wrote on 3/18/2009, 6:03 AM
Hi Brian,

On Movie Edit Pro 14, you wouldn't have to rename the MOD files to MPG. Just make sure you have the MPEG-2 codec and Dolby Digital Stereo decoder activated (via "Help" => "Activate additional functions") and these files will show up in the mediapool/file browser and can be imported.

For the problem you're experiencing with the program crashing in the MPEG2.DLL file, you should have a look at your Windows "Data Execution Prevention" (DEP) settings, which might be causing a software conflict here. This is basically a security mechanism of Windows but can cause some problems if configured too restrictively. You should set it to only apply to essential Windows programs and services (which is usually the default setting). Depending on whether you're running XP or Vista, the procedure is a little different. Find your advanced system settings via the Device Manager. In the advanced tab, click on the "Settings" button in the "Performance" section. Switch to the "Data Execution Prevention" tab and change the setting for this feature as discussed above. This should do the trick.