I have 8 dvds some good,bad and awful no chapters. Can I organize

jamey15 wrote on 10/30/2009, 6:43 PM
I have 8 dvds ,transfered from approx 10,000' of super 8 film. Some good, bad and awful. NO chaopters..Can I organize into chronlological order. Can I color correct and CUT out bad footage?? AFTER I do this (if I amable to with your product) Can I then burn NEW dvds?? IF YES which product should I ourchase??

Comments

Clevo wrote on 10/30/2009, 7:51 PM
Magic Movie Pro should be able to do that but perhaps someone with more experience can answer on the aspect of colour correction.

However, you don't mention what format are the video files on the DVD. I am hoping they are DV-AVI, rather than any of the other compressed formats. This will have an impact with what choices you have for your final production....at the least they should be DVD compliant mpeg2 files.

Depending on the transfer from film to DVD method, (the cheapest method being pointing a digital camera to the film projected on a wall/screen...to the more expensive but brilliant frame by frame method) you shouldn't really need to mess around with the colour corrections.
asoeli wrote on 10/31/2009, 3:41 PM
I guess that your DVD's contain MPEG-files, as ordinary MPG-files or VOB-files, which also are a sort of MPG's. They are easily edited in Magix Movie Edit Pro, and as Clevo says, I will also reccomend it. Many other filetypes are also accepted.
Having transferred the files to your harddisk and opened for editing, I would prefer first to manually cut the different sections and save them as Takes. Now rename the takes (for your Organizing). These could be up to several minutes long. Later load each Take and edit it, by cutting out bad footage, color correcting etc. Afterwards they may be arranged in the order you want, add music, text, etc and burned on DVD's with Menus and/or chapter markers.
Start with a small project to experiment and learn the program before editing the DVD's.
Good luck !!

Back again.
It is regarded as an advantage to have the program installed on one harddisk (C:) and store the video files on a different harddisk, but it is absolutely not a must. Each of the DVD's can contain up to 4 - 4,5 GB of video, so I would calculate with at least 10-15 GB for each DVD to be edited. But you need not have all 8 on the HD at the same time. The program stores a copy of each DVD you make too, calculate with that. I would say, never fill the HD up to more than 100 GB, for the system to work good. I dont know if you can use the Flashdrive as part of the system, probably it works.
On the other hand, external USB harddisks are pretty cheap now, convenient for backup too. I am very satisfied with using such disks.

Good luck again !!