I am unable to get Vista to give me a preview

pingu2000 wrote on 9/22/2009, 2:42 PM
When using movies on DVD & on a vista SP1 computer, the sound works fine, but I am unable to get an image. I have checked the USB ports, and other devices work fine. I have installed the application onto another computer running XP Sp2, and this is fine. I have 4GB RAM, a quad core CPU and a decent graphics card. I have tried updating the USB drivers as suggested, but this makes no difference, with Windows reporting the best drivers are already installed.

Any help appreciated

Comments

Clevo wrote on 9/22/2009, 3:35 PM
Try installing the latest directX from microsoft...it's not offered in the normal automatic updates.
pingu2000 wrote on 9/23/2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the advice re Direct X, sadly it didn't make any difference. Have also tried a reboot after installing.

Clevo wrote on 9/23/2009, 1:52 PM
That's a shame as the DVD codec is very standard these days on all PC's. Do you have the same problem when playing normal, commercial DVD's (like from the video shop) on the Vista machine?

If you don't have problems with normal DVD's then there must be something wrong with this one particular DVD.

So, the DVD that doesn't work properly, where did it come from?
pingu2000 wrote on 9/23/2009, 3:16 PM
Thanks for the reply,

I think there may be a little confusion here, the programme I am using is called "Movies on DVD" and I am trying to import video from a VHS onto a vista computer using the USB -> SCART cable that came with the application.  I can use the standard DVD maker that comes with VISTA with no problem and other videos have no problem displaying, it seems that I can not import from video VHS player... I have tried exporting the video on an XP machine, and then viewing the video on the vista computer, but this does not work either, so think I have ruled out the USB & SCART cables.

Many thanks.
Clevo wrote on 9/24/2009, 1:07 AM
There might be some confusion.

Just been reading up on Magix Movies on DVD v8

There is this bit:

"The integrated video recorder and a TV card (not included), TV programs can be directly recorded with a click – in the best digital picture and sound quality available. The recordings are saved on your PC and can be freed from annoying advertisements with just a few clicks."

TV card not included: this is why you are having problems capturing from VHS

The VHS player needs to be connected to a TV card that is abled for VHS connections.

How are you connecting the VHS to your PC?

For example I have a USB dongle with twin HD tuner and a cable adaptor that connects to a VHS machine. I can then convert all my old VHS tapes to DVD.

pingu2000 wrote on 9/24/2009, 11:07 AM
I am connecting using the USB -> SCART cable that come with the program. Everything is fine on an XP machine, using the same program and the same cables, the same VHS player and same VHS tape, and that computer does not have a TV card. The aplication I am using is Movies on DVD version 7.

I am unable to permanantly use my XP machine as this is a work computer and is not always at home.

Thanks
Clevo wrote on 9/24/2009, 1:49 PM
This is a mystery then...

On the Vista Machine you don't happen to have one of those Mega codec packs installed do you? I ask because sometimes this could cause problems in Vista

I still can't work out in my head how the XP machine captures analogue VHS from a VHS machine without a TV card or converter

Try starting the program by "run as Administrator" in Vista and under "XP compatability mode"
pingu2000 wrote on 9/24/2009, 4:17 PM
Hi,

The convertor is included with the software. Look at
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=2314 and this gives a brief review.

The vista machne has full admin rights, and have now tried this on a 3rd machine, with vista installed but on a similair Dell computer.. This works fine, so think I have ruled out Vista, as usual, I think it is going to be a crappy Dell problem!

Thanks for all your help, I shall put everything into the bin now. I give up. I am off to put the video player on to the TV stand, next to the DVD player!!!!
RDFilms wrote on 11/25/2009, 9:20 AM
I cannot do it