I am having problems burning a dvd only when i have added chapters / Chapter menu. Can anyone help?

debkyd wrote on 11/5/2008, 12:45 AM
I only have 9 days of the trial left and really want to try and get my problem sorted as I really like the software.

I have spent several days working on editing my wedding video with movie editor pro 14 on windows vista.

I have finished the first part and its approx 40mins long. I added chapters (9) and created Chapter menu only in burn process and changed background, added music etc.

When trying to burn this i encountered the message burning aborted due to encoding error after about 2 1/2 hours of encoding process.

I looked at previous questions and answers and did the following things as advised by people on the knowlege community.

I changed to a new disc - using dvd -r 2hours 4.7GB
I did a syscheck and contacted the support ( a week ago and no reply as yet - is there a telephone number to contact if noone can help me with this?)
I checked region settings.

I then tried another project - just simply tried to burn a 5 sec clip. This worked!!!! with no chapters and no created menu just the one it did automatically

I thought the probelm may be to do with length of video and maybe had something to do with hard drive memory or something.

So I cut it into 6 chapters (25mins) , then 4 (15 mins) and then 2 (8 mins) and tried each of these, still there was the same message at the same point. just towards the end of step 1

So i tried removing the chapters on the 8 minute footage.  This worked!!!

I managed to burn the 8 minutes - I still had the setting on chapter menu only rather than movie menu.

However i when the dvd was played on the dvd player there was no menu shown at all. It was just the blank jvc screen until i pressed play and the movie started.

I guess if i had changed to movie menu then then it would have shown tha automatically displayed menu. I have run out of blank discs to check. will buy some later and peservere.

However this will not solve my problem. one of the reason I wanted another editing software rather than windows movie maker was that I want to be able to make chapters and chapter menus for my wedding and kids videos as don't want to sit through them all each time but dip in and out and find bits easily.

Can anyone help please?

Do I need to change some settings?
Is it to do with hard drive memory?
Is there any other way to contact Magix support other than email? Is there a number?

I would be very grateful if anyone can help?

Thanks in advance

Comments

Morbotron wrote on 11/5/2008, 7:30 AM
You mentioned you contacted support and did the syscheck- did you hear back from support? Do you know for sure that they got your syscheck results? I'd reccomend writing back to them - reply to an email from them and ask if they got the syscheck results from you - if not, they'll request you send it, if yes, maybe it'll prompt them to get back to you faster about this problem.

Personally, it sounds like something critical in the background of your menu - what are you using in the background? A freeze frame from your video? This has been known to cause problems. Anyway, if you can provide a bit more info about the background video, photo and music in your menu, perhaps I can better advise.
Morbotron wrote on 11/5/2008, 10:56 AM
I see. Well, there is a way around this problem. Unfortunately, I think there are encoding problems when freezing a frame from a video and putting it in the background of your menu. The work around solution to try would be to export the frame and save it as a BMP, then use the BMP as the background of your menu. This usually does the trick. So, with your project loaded in Movie Edit Pro, locate the frame you want to use as the background by moving the red start marker to that position. Click "File" - "Export movie" - "Single frame as BMP" and choose the best quality resolution (bigger) option. Then, do the same with the rest of the background images you want to use. When you go to the menu selection area, set the background as these BMP files. Try burning again. Make sure to select "Re-encode all" if given the option to reencode your movie. Let us know how it goes!
Morbotron wrote on 11/5/2008, 12:54 PM
I've heard of it helping to move the music file you're using in the background of the DVD menu - for example, save the song file so that it is located in the Movie Edit Pro "Audio/Video" folder instead of where ever it is currently on your hard drive, then add it to the menu from this location. At any rate, apparently it helps to keep the files you want to use in the background on your DVD menu, in a Movie Edit Pro folder of some kind.
James1 wrote on 11/18/2008, 6:54 PM
I have had the same problem, with other software and the way around it was to create an image file (*.iso) and then burn this file to disk. But I am sitting with the problem of how to create an image file of the required DVD with movie edit pro 14.
James1
laago wrote on 1/12/2009, 9:54 AM
ok MAGIX DOES NOT WORK TRYING TO BURN WITH THE SKINS IN MY EXPERIENCE, CHAPTER MARKERS ALSO, BURN AS 1 FILM IS OK WITHOUT SKINS.

SYSCHECK, SENT 2 BACK TO MAGIX, WASTE OF TIME AS IS THE SERVICE RESPONSE TIME? NEVER RETURNED ANY INFORMATION ON THIS, BUT THEN IT IS A CHEAP BOTCH SO IF YOU FIND A BETTER PROGRAM LET ME KNOW PLEASE??