How to set up midi instruments so they play, can be monitored,recorded

doug_mccarron wrote on 6/4/2024, 11:37 PM

Version X6.

When I am on a midi track and try to plug in an instrument is get a message about needing to do something with asio and monitoring. When I press the keys on the keyboard of the instrument it looks like the volume meter shows something happened but i get no sound from my speakers. I have never figured out what I have to do with this software just to get it to work. I don't know why it is shipped without it working and making me struggle to understand what the heck it is talking about and never getting to compose or use it. It seems to expect me to be highly educated on what I need to do instead of being set up to work.

Does anyone know what I need to do to set up the midi instruments to play, be monitored, recorded and the results to be bounced and saved? And why it isn't set up to work in the first place? It seems to me I should be able to use a program to record and compose, not set up and struggle with.

Thank you.

Douglas

We are born an awareness that takes a body. During life we build a personality, defense system, understanding of life. But all of that came after we were born, and is not who we truly are. We are each one seven billionth of one species among hundreds of thousands of species on a small little planet that circles a small ball of fire in a galaxy containing more suns than all the grains of sand in all the deserts of the earth, a galaxy among billions of galaxies, a galaxy flying through never ending space at 1,304,880 miles per hour. Our made up personality wants to be the center of all things, a god, but we aren't. We are like those little grains of sand in the endless eternal desert, but diamonds and sapphires are grains of sand. Like those little grains of sand, we are each a beautiful diamond. Let God love you.

Comments

SP. wrote on 6/5/2024, 4:20 AM

@doug_mccarron It's not set up this way because this needs manual configuration of ASIO driver.

The software is set up so you can record with a microphone and external instruments with minimal CPU load using the standard Windows sound system which is limited.

Since there are many different audio interfaces and ASIO drivers, the user must set this up manually. The software cannot do this.

If you want to play VST instruments, you must select an ASIO driver in the File > Program Preferences > System/Audio > Audio Setup settings. Here select an ASIO driver. If you have an external USB audio interface (highly recommended) select the ASIO driver of your interface. If you don't, select Magix Low Latency or install ASIO4ALL and select that.

Next, click on the control panel button to open the ASIO driver settings. Select an audio input and audio output and set the sample buffer size to a reasonable value like 512 samples. Then close the driver settings.

At the bottom of the Audio Setup page you will find the Monitoring Setup slider. Place the slider to the rightmost position, so it says Mixer FX Monitoring Hybrid Engine. Then close the program settings with OK.

After that it should work fine.

j-s wrote on 6/8/2024, 8:01 AM

I agree with Dougs sentiments, I find this program very buggy and a massive nuisance where midi is concerned,

the people who developed it are obviously too smart for their own good, you just want to be able to use the bloody daw.

samplitude x8 music studio.

SP. wrote on 6/8/2024, 11:04 AM

@j-s What problems did you encounter?

j-s wrote on 6/8/2024, 11:14 AM

very buggy midi, will only play back around 3 notes on the external midi keyboard, full range of the keyboard not working, always asking for "objects"

almost like it doesn't want to work properly?

I'm assuming it some way out west design of a daw,

very unintuitive indeed, possibly/probably coded in some strange way.

I've just set up acid pro 7 with j bridge, works like a charm, no faffing around,

not a complete waste of time and money (imo, for myself personally)

because it came with a copy of soundforge 17, which I like, and use occasionally.

thanks.

SP. wrote on 6/8/2024, 11:47 AM

@j-s Can you upload the screenshots of your Samplitude audio settings? And a screenshot of the "object asking" message.

j-s wrote on 6/8/2024, 12:50 PM

thanks for the offer of help, but I decided to turn my mind off from it.

it's probably a great daw but not for me, I should have tried the demo version first,

like it is sensible to do.

like I say it's probably a great DAW.

thanks.

SP. wrote on 6/8/2024, 1:00 PM

@j-s Yes, it's a great DAW. Most problems are simply caused by wrong configuration or by users who don't bother to learn it.

j-s wrote on 6/8/2024, 5:47 PM

I was being polite. it's crap.

SP. wrote on 6/8/2024, 5:51 PM

@j-s I can't confirm this on any level.

Since you don't want to tell and show us what your problem is and don't have interest in our help, I don't take your opinion serious, sorry.

j-s wrote on 6/9/2024, 2:22 AM

I've gone back to acid pro 10, 😂 the midi works well in it, I'm learning to work around the bugs

I'll get to make some music one of these days instead of messing around with software I'm sure of it,

thanks for your help.

doug_mccarron wrote on 6/10/2024, 12:23 AM

I see there is more going on here. Thank you for your response. I have been trying for a few days to get something to happen but so far no Sound. Screen shot of what I have. I tried the Realtek selection on the control panel also.

We are born an awareness that takes a body. During life we build a personality, defense system, understanding of life. But all of that came after we were born, and is not who we truly are. We are each one seven billionth of one species among hundreds of thousands of species on a small little planet that circles a small ball of fire in a galaxy containing more suns than all the grains of sand in all the deserts of the earth, a galaxy among billions of galaxies, a galaxy flying through never ending space at 1,304,880 miles per hour. Our made up personality wants to be the center of all things, a god, but we aren't. We are like those little grains of sand in the endless eternal desert, but diamonds and sapphires are grains of sand. Like those little grains of sand, we are each a beautiful diamond. Let God love you.

doug_mccarron wrote on 6/10/2024, 12:42 AM

Ok if I set Driver system to Realtek ASIO then the midi plays. However When I press the red Record button I am told the clock is set to an external clock. If I go back to ASIO for all the clock says Big Ben but then the midi does not play or record.

doug_mccarron wrote on 6/10/2024, 12:50 AM

System audio setting, not that I know what they mean. I am a musician and composer, not a software engineer.

SP. wrote on 6/10/2024, 3:38 AM

@doug_mccarron

I see there is more going on here. Thank you for your response. I have been trying for a few days to get something to happen but so far no Sound. Screen shot of what I have. I tried the Realtek selection on the control panel also.

I see a small plus icon before the Realtek USB Audio to expand the selection. There might be more there that needs to be activated.

I also found this topic on Realtek USB Audio and ASIO4ALL and it was recommended to change ASIO4ALL to version 2.14. But I'm not sure, how relevant this is for Samplitude.

https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=11386

Ok if I set Driver system to Realtek ASIO then the midi plays. However When I press the red Record button I am told the clock is set to an external clock. If I go back to ASIO for all the clock says Big Ben but then the midi does not play or record.

Press the Windows Key and R on your keyboard. This will open the Run window. Type mmsys.cpl and press Enter to open the Windows sound settings control panel. Navigate to Playback/Recording tab, right click on your playback/recording device and open the properties. In the properties navigate to Advanced settings and change the sample rate so that it is identical to the sample rate of your Samplitude project. There is probably a conflict between 44,100 Hz and 48,000 Hz. Alternatively, it should also help to change the sample rate in your Samplitude project settings.

j-s wrote on 6/11/2024, 12:01 PM

why is "receive midi" ticked in setting but greyed out? and impossible to get sound out of usb midi keyboard?

every other daw it works easily?

this daw is infuriating..

SP. wrote on 6/11/2024, 12:06 PM

@j-s In Music Maker and Samplitude you MUST use an ASIO driver to get real-time MIDI monitoring.

j-s wrote on 6/11/2024, 1:00 PM

using generic low latency driver, the vita drum machine works when pressing the pads, but in the settings on the plugin the receive midi is greyed out (but ticked) ??

j-s wrote on 6/11/2024, 1:05 PM

the midi keyboard just wont work, I must have spent 3 hours at it. its a joke

SP. wrote on 6/11/2024, 1:15 PM

@j-s Did you add the plugin as a MIDI plugin? This is only for plugins like Scaler or BlueARP, not for VST instruments. These plugins usually don't put out any audio but modify the incoming MIDI and send it to other plugins.

j-s wrote on 6/11/2024, 2:25 PM

the daw is garbage, i'm not spending another minute on it, it even has links and rechts instead of left and right and its supposed to be in english, that is how shit it is.

I should have known after acid pro 10 it would be problematic. I only have myself to blame. what a joke.

SP. wrote on 6/11/2024, 2:35 PM

@j-s Samplitude works completely fine for me. I suggest you study the manual. It looks like you're somewhat overwhelmed.

Besides that, helping you is limited by the fact that you don't upload screenshots of the things you do. I cannot see your screen telepathically.

doug_mccarron wrote on 6/15/2024, 2:09 PM

OK, bank to me and my discussion. I have managed to connect my midi mini keyboard and get a response on the monitor on screen. So the signal is coming in. And when I listen to youtube I hear the sound.. So that means signal is going in and there is audio. So to my mind that means the issue is connecting Samplitude output to my audio. So that is what I am working on. I have realtek audio but Samplitude doesn't offer that as a choice so I am looking to how to make this connection now. There also seems to be a time delay between pressing the keyboard and having the signal respond on the monitor.

I do have a windows 10 computer that this all works on while the computer I am trying to establish on is a windows 11 system. Maybe there is some issue there but I can't puzzle out why. Working on it.

doug_mccarron wrote on 6/15/2024, 5:51 PM

I thought I did, will read this again.