How to restore Payback Speed to normal?

goodone2 wrote on 7/26/2022, 2:58 AM

I recorded some songs via microphone and all sounded ok. Then did the usual export (to .MP3). When the MP3s are then played back they seem to be at half speed. Maybe I have accidentally hit some switch? I've tried to find the problem ... can anyone help? (Sound Forge Audio Cleaning Lab 3. Win 10 PC).

Comments

goodone2 wrote on 7/27/2022, 1:42 PM

Ah please ... any suggestions? To clarify, when recorded (via Sound Forge Audio Cleaning Lab 3) and played back within the same program, it sounded fine. Then I export it, as an MP3 ... and it's half speed! Initially, playback was by VLC but I just tried with Windows Media Player - some thing, "half speed". I today did a completely new recording session ... precisely the same thing happens.

SP. wrote on 7/27/2022, 2:50 PM

@goodone2 what happens if you export as WAV?

goodone2 wrote on 7/28/2022, 7:10 AM

Same. Annoyingly I now have three sessions of (guitar/singing) recordings, each of which I have spent a lot of time recording and editing (removing false starts/'imperfect takes' - finishing up with a 'Final, perfect take') - then on saving, Sound Forge 3 transformed the final file to half-speed (in two instances MP3, the third, .WAV). I do hope a solution will not only stop this happening in future but will also enable me to 'Restore' the 'Finished, perfect takes'!

emmrecs wrote on 7/28/2022, 9:15 AM

@goodone2

What sample rate are you using in SFACL3? And is the software you are using to playback the exported files, whether mp3 or wav, set to that same sample rate?

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 7/28/2022, 9:15 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

SP. wrote on 7/28/2022, 9:26 AM

@goodone2 Yes, I think that if you recorded at 96 khz and then export to 48 khz without resampling the song it would play at half speed.

goodone2 wrote on 7/29/2022, 2:42 AM

Thank you emmrecs and SP. But please ... where can I see and change the sampling rates? I've just had a quick walk through the menus and didn't find ... I've just done a dummy recording but not yet saved ('Saving' seems to immediately change the playback speed).

emmrecs wrote on 7/29/2022, 6:26 AM

@goodone2

With SFACL3 open, select to Record. You then see this screen:

Click the highlighted Settings button. Then you will see this screen:

Click on the highlighted Advanced button, which will then open this screen:

Check ALL the settings in the highlighted area, especially the Sample Rate. That is the setting that MUST be the same in whatever software you are using to playback your exported file(s).

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

goodone2 wrote on 7/29/2022, 7:42 AM

Under (Record) Advanced, Sample Rate shows as 32,000Hz. Then, back to the main menu, Options/ Playback Parameters also shows 32,000. I have now recorded another track ... which I held back saving till got your response; when I Play, (before 'saving') the speed is normal, perfect. I will now Save to see what happens (having confirmed that the Sampling rates are both the same) ... saved first as a project then clicked 'Save', which has begun Export (MP3, 192kBit/sec). Done. Will now again click 'Play' ... ah, playing perfectly! How strange, I have never altered the sampling rates so have no idea how or why something got reset nor why 'normalcy' has returned ... still am enormously grateful for your help - and that the issue is now resolved!

SP. wrote on 7/29/2022, 8:04 AM

@goodone2 32 kHz is a very odd sampling rate. It should be 44.1 kHz (CD-Quality) or 48 kHz (modern digital audio quality). With 32 kHz sampling rate you will lose all frequencies above 16 kHz in your recording which is inside the humanly audible range.

emmrecs wrote on 7/29/2022, 8:08 AM

@goodone2

I'm delighted to hear the problem is resolved.

However, 32000Hz (aka 32kHz) is not a "standard" sample rate! I would strongly recommend that you change the setting to either 44.1kHz (44100Hz) which is the so-called "CD Standard" (i.e. for audio-only recordings) or to 48kHz (48000Hz) which is the standard for audio in Video recordings. This is especially important if you wish to "share" your recordings with anyone else, whose equipment may NOT be able to playback audio files recorded at your 32kHz sample rate.

You may also have the option for higher sampling rates but these are, to all intents and purposes, somewhat overkill! (I suspect that last statement may cause some degree of comment!)

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 7/29/2022, 8:09 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

goodone2 wrote on 7/30/2022, 5:27 AM

Thanks Jeff and noted!

goodone2 wrote on 7/30/2022, 7:45 AM

Ah, it's back grhh! I just recorded another (singing/guitar) track, ensuring both the Record and Playback sampling rates were 44,100; I Saved, and when I played back it's slowed down - sounds a bit like 'half speed'. I've rechecked the sampling rates, both still are showing '44,100'.

SP. wrote on 7/30/2022, 8:11 AM

@goodone2 What are your audio export settings?

goodone2 wrote on 7/30/2022, 8:34 AM

Save as type: .MP3 192 kB/sec

Encoder quality: High

Format: Stereo

Use VBR, NOT ticked

SP. wrote on 7/30/2022, 9:09 AM

@goodone2 Sorry, but I don't have the program in front of me. Can you change the sample rate during in the export settings?

goodone2 wrote on 7/30/2022, 9:20 AM

(As far as I can see) there is no way (in Export) to see/change the "44,100" number (which I can see in the Record and Playback areas). In the 'Export' area it is just possible to change the 192 kBit/sec, to 160 or 224 etc - which I've never done.

emmrecs wrote on 7/30/2022, 10:24 AM

@goodone2

Sorry to hear the problem has returned!

To resolve this I think we may need to take something of a "step backwards".

Can you please follow this tutorial to download and install MediaInfo? Although primarily designed for video files it can also analyse audio files. Simply open the app, point it to your exported mp3 and copy and paste here all the data shown on the View>Text screen.

Then can you tell us a little more about your computer? Which build of Win 10 do you have? What is your audio interface (is it built-in or do you have an external interface)? What is your CPU (please give the full model name and number)?

What happens if you select to Export to wav?

Jeff

goodone2 wrote on 7/30/2022, 10:34 AM

Thanks Jeff, appreciate your care. I will return to this tomorrow or Monday ...

goodone2 wrote on 10/11/2022, 6:46 AM

(Weeks later!) Belated thank you for your reply and your care. I decided to switch back to my old Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 16 as Sound Forge seems to be too complicated (the brain is not as young as it used to be, finding it hard to take on new information/ learn new routines!). My needs are in fact very simple (simple home recordings adding simple Mastering) and Sound Forge is perhaps aimed at the professional or semi-pro end of the market and folks much smarter than me.

Thanks