How to create my OWN music??

williamkane wrote on 6/16/2009, 9:45 AM
I dont understand how to create my own music (not from the built in music samples, but my OWN). For example, I wish to create a tune taking the crunchy sound available under guitar in hiphop style. I want to change the tune completely according to my own idea but i want the same guitar style to be maintained. I dont know how to do this. If I double click on the sound, I get a creepy looking wave form i can never edit in my life. And for some it opens an MIDI editor which, I feel, isnt a good way of making a tune coz ull have to place each bit for every second there and there is no clear guide to how to use this editor easily. Help required!!!

Comments

Singey wrote on 6/17/2009, 1:12 AM
Not sure which version you are using but V15 has a Beatbox, Synthesizer and other tools you can use to create your own drums and riffs. (It is painstaking though).

I have found that I can buy computer magazines with Sample discs included. They have hundreds of different "sounds" on them that you can import into Music Maker. But again this is a really slow way of creating your own sounds. I'd be interested to hear what other users get up to.
NoTurning wrote on 6/17/2009, 8:36 AM
Hi,
It's not clear what you want... do you want to take an existing sample and change it to a completely different melody while maintaining the sound?

This is not possible - to make your own music you'll have to record your own samples. You could, as you say, edit the MIDI files of certain ones but that is painstaking to say the least and not a reasonable method to change/create music samples.

Even the "creepy" .wav editor is not for changing the melody but for changing the sound. You could cut the sample up and rearrange it but it wouldn't sound very good.

If you want to create your own music using samples then I would get a sample kit from ebay or freesound.org and use one note/beat samples to create your own melody. Again a bit of a pain but the alternative to playing the instrument and recording.

Justin
Procyon wrote on 6/19/2009, 10:47 PM
If you don't want to use the loops, the only option within MM is to use the virtual crunch guitar in the VITA/MIDI editor.  You draw in the pitch and duration of the notes you want on the timeline (piano roll) and use the velocity controller to set the strength/volume of the notes.

If you don't want to use the MIDI editor, you can "play" the virtual guitar with a controller keyboard plugged into your computer.

The only other option is for you, or someone you know, to connect the line out from your guitar/amp to your computer and record your own riffs to the computer.  Then import the recorded tracks into your arrangement.

If you don't play an instrument, your pretty much stuck with using the MIDI editor or loops.