How to change the link in "My Media"

chris-b wrote on 12/21/2018, 10:00 PM

The links in "My Media" all point to my "C:" drive. I use my E: drive for my documents, my music, my pictures. How do you change these links... Nothing intuitive works such as right-clicking. I created new links which are simple plain text items below a stack of useless empty links. How do I delete these fancy links that don't do anything or connect them to useful folders?

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 12/22/2018, 4:04 AM

Have you explored the options presented under File>Settings>Program (shortcut Y)? That will allow you to set at least some of the options you want.

Second, I assume you went to the "My Computer" link on the media panel? So you arrived at a listing of the drives on your computer? Did you also see the cog highlighted in my screenshot below?

Left clicking it gives a list of options, one of which is "Folder as Link". So select your folder, click on that option and the link is created and shown. OR, simply right-click on any folder you wish to create a link to and the same option (Folder as link) is there!

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 12/22/2018, 8:26 AM

@chris-b

Hi

. . . . The links in "My Media" all point to my "C:" drive. I use my E: drive for my documents, my music, my pictures. . . .

This is not a Photostory issue.

It is most likely because Windows thinks your Documents folder is still on the C: drive.

You can redirect the location of your Documents folders to another drive, there are several methods available. I would suggest you search Google for how to do this.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

chris-b wrote on 12/30/2018, 3:18 PM

Interesting! So, I am moving these folders as noted in several articles. And perhaps that will correct the issue I am having; but still, why not make these easily changeable like the other links to various directories? Just a suggestion...

I'll post here when the move of the personal directories is completed to verify whether Photo Story picks up on the new folder locations.

Chris.

emmrecs wrote on 12/31/2018, 4:02 AM

@chris-b

I think you have misunderstood something!

I'll post here when the move of the personal directories is completed to verify whether Photo Story picks up on the new folder locations.

Unless you completely uninstall and reinstall PS or, use the suggestions I made in my previous post and actively create links to folders, PS as installed will not "change". The coding of where to find specific directories is either hard-coded to the app or created at the time of initial installation, without any means of changing that information, which is written to at least one of the program's .ini files. "Editing" of that file is possible but most certainly NOT recommended!

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam