How to add and edit metadata to an mp4 movie in Video Pro X 15

lauriemessage wrote on 2/29/2024, 9:45 AM

Hello.

We have a DVD movie (topic is parenting information) that we would like to convert to a digital download version since DVD players and DVDs are so scarce these days. Someone advised we find out about using metadata -- something we've never done before. How/where can metadata be found in an mp4 movie in Video Pro X 15 on a Windows 10 PC, and if it's possible to edit it, how is that done?

Thanks.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 2/29/2024, 10:47 AM

@lauriemessage

Hi

. . . . Someone advised we find out about using metadata . . . .

What did they suggest using this for ?

VPX does not allow additional header data to be added to the video file

Some Metadata is inserted into the file header automatically by the program which created it, such as Date created/modified file size resolution etc - you can see these when you right-click the exported video file in Explorer and view the Properties of the file.

If you want to add extra data, scroll down to the appropriate item and double click to the right to open the text entry box, see image below.

Note

1. Not all items are editable
  2. Anyone downloading the file can remove this data, so it is not to be relied upon for identification in case of 'piracy'.

If piracy is a concern, then items such as Copyright notices, randomly placed barely visible 'Easter eggs' or logos which can be used to identify the video can be added to the timeline VPX project before exporting the video to make editing them out more difficult.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

lauriemessage wrote on 3/10/2024, 10:14 AM

@lauriemessage

Hi

. . . . Someone advised we find out about using metadata . . . .

What did they suggest using this for ?

If piracy is a concern, then items such as Copyright notices, randomly placed barely visible 'Easter eggs' or logos which can be used to identify the video can be added to the timeline VPX project before exporting the video to make editing them out more difficult.

Appreciate your helpful reply!

The people in question did not suggest using anything; they simply said they had hoped to edit the metadata but could not figure out how to do it. They had signed a contract to sell the movie as a digital download, had it converted from the DVD to digital format online, then canceled the contract with us, giving the reason that they couldn't find a way to edit the metadata. They kept the digital version. Naturally we're concerned about what they might do with the movie. In the meantime, we decided we'd like to find out how to create a digital download version and sell the product ourselves, so we are trying to learn more about how to do that.

Yes, piracy is a concern. At this point, we know nothing about how to create a digital download to sell online (on Amazon.com, for example). If you know of a website that explains the process of how to convert a DVD to a digital download, please let me know so we can learn more.

Thank you.

johnebaker wrote on 3/11/2024, 5:29 AM

Hi

Protecting digital downloads requires encryption, however, the tools to do this are used by, and available for, enterprise video production/streaming companies.

. . . . They kept the digital version. Naturally we're concerned about what they might do with the movie. . . .

If you or the parenting organisation own the Copyright of the DVD movie, then I would suggest seeking legal advice on further action.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.