How does one create a Blu-Ray compatible disk with 1920x1080p 60fps 16x9 specifications?

aalex57 wrote on 12/28/2013, 1:36 PM

How does one create a Blu-Ray compatible disk with 1920x1080p 60fps 16x9 specifications?  The presets in Photostory 2014 do not include frame rates above 30fps.  I have built an AVCHD movie using these specs under the AVCHD burn section, but the images will only work on certain Blu-ray players.  I want to build a Blu-ray disk that will work on ALL Blu-ray players.  I haven't found a way to specify the frame rate in the Blu-Ray burn menus for the H.264 format.

Note:  I matched the bit rate, the HSS rate, the total bitrate and the quality/bitrate to match those used to render the AVCHD movie.  There was no adjustment available for the frame rate.  Does any information ever show up in the "Input Information" and  "Statistics" fields in the menu above?

Also, I tried to create an MPEG-2 movie but could not find a way to specify Dolby AC3 sound.  The one movie that I attempted had no sound when played in Microsoft Windows Media Player.  Do you have any documentation that addresses these kinds of questions?

Thanks for your assistance,

-Allen

Comments

yvon-robert wrote on 12/28/2013, 3:54 PM

Hi,

By default Magix uses about 2/3 of parameters for image quality and bit rate. Manually you can adjust image quality to a maximum 15 (9 by default) and the bit rate to may be 15 000 using these parameters only high quality player can work. If you use the default configuration and some player cannot handle the video file you can change B-R disk for another brand and can use a slow speed to burn the B-R. Another philosophy is to create a disk image in step one and after burn the disk image to B-R. You can do nothing for low quality or old B-R reader. Another philosophy is to use a SD disk and copy the video file on. All smart or intelligent TV can handle the file.

Regards,

YR

aalex57 wrote on 12/28/2013, 6:48 PM

Hello Yvon-Robert,

Thank you for your suggestions.  I have burned from ISO images and written the encoded videos directly to disk with equal lack of success. 

Blu-Ray is a set of standards laid down by a consortium of vendors from across the globe.  I have never purchased a commercial Blu-Ray movie that I couldn't play back on any of my Blu-Ray players.  This comment includes movies rendered in 1080p/60fps and even 3D (with 3D capable players).

Movies that I have produced using Photostory 2014 do not work across the board as I would expect them to.  The particular movie that I am currently working on was rendered using the AVCHD path within Photostory.  It was rendered in 1920x1080p, 60fps, 16x9 format and works fine on a 3-year old Samsung Blu-Ray player that is AVCHD compliant.  When the disk was moved over to a brand new Samsung Blu-Ray player that is also AVCHD compliant the disk menu doesn't work which makes it impossible to play the video.

Because of these problems I purchased a SATA LG Blu-Ray burner and a stack of very expensive BD-R disks.  So far I have not had any success.  The only full encoding that I attempted took over 30 hours of compute time and produced a very poor quality rendering using the default Blu-Ray preset.  This is on a 2.66GHz Quad-Core PC with 8GBytes of RAM, 64-bit Windows 7 and an nVidia 9800 GTX graphics card with 512MBytes of RAM.

The bottom line is that there should be a set of presets and guaranteed performance that we could use to burn our movies.  This should not be a mystery and should be fully documented.  Having to rely on a blog post like this one for technical support is a pretty poor substitute for the real deal.  Magix needs to do better...

I do appreciate your advice but am still waiting for specific answers to the questions that I raised in my original post.

Best Regards,

-Allen

johnebaker wrote on 12/29/2013, 11:47 AM

Hi

Which version of Photostory on CD & DVD are you using?

Looking at the images above you appear to be exporting to AVCHD file - are you then writing this file to disc with some other burning software?

For maximum compatibility you should be selecting BD disc in the in the disc type options of the burn dialog?

If the BD disc works in some players but not others then I think you can rule out dodgy disc, bad burn etc.

This is more likely a disc compatibility issue with the players themselves - not all discs are compatible with all players.

. . . . stack of very expensive BD-R disks . . . .

You do not say what make / type they are - even though they may have been expensive they may not still be compatible across all players.

To save yourself money burning 'useless' discs, get a set of BD-RE discs, do all the initial burns to these - I use Verbatim's BD-RE without any problems.  Once a good final copy is obtained (I often find I need to make adjustments after playing the disc) on the rewriteable, I then use Nero to copy this to a BD-R at a least 1 speed slower then the disc rating and then erase the rewriteable for re-use.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 12/29/2013, 11:57 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

aalex57 wrote on 12/29/2013, 7:45 PM

Hello John,

Thanks for the info.  I like the idea of using the BD-RE disks until a working formulation is established.  The Blu-Ray BD-R disks that I am using are manufactured by Memorex.  The comment that I made about them being expensive was a comparative statement relative to the DVD-DL disks that I am used to using.

I am using Photostory 2014 to build the videos.  I usually build an ISO image and burn it using Roxio Creator.  The menus that I included in my initial post were the result of a Blu-Ray disk build, as opposed to DVD or AVCHD.  I was also careful to place a limit on the burn speed in Roxio as the Memorex disks are good up to 6X.

The video that I am working on is pretty simple: ~450 still photos, a Vasco da Gama travel sequence and music tracks.  I'm using a Blu-Ray compatible disk and chapter menu structure right out of Photostory 2014.  The run time is about 50 minutes.  My goal is to render the video in as high a quality as Blu-Ray permits (1920x1080p, ~60 frames/sec, 16x9 format) and be able to give the disks to family and friends with the knowledge that it WILL work on their players.  So far I haven't found a path through the Photostory "Burn" process that allows me to meet these objectives...

Best Regards,

-Allen

johnebaker wrote on 12/30/2013, 12:40 PM

Hi

. . . . re manufactured by Memorex. . . . .

I would suggest you try a different brand eg Verbatim, IIRC Memorex discs have been reported as having different dyes depending on the manufacturing source.

IMHO it is better to have a lower framerate ie 30 fps with the highest bitrate which will allow the movie to fit on a disc, than a higher framerate at a lower bitrate.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 12/30/2013, 12:40 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.