How do you copy LP's?

Theovinyl wrote on 3/2/2009, 1:28 AM
I bought MPS Maker 14 today as the box clearly states that the software may be used to record LP's to your PC.

Once home and installed, there are absolutely no intuitive on screen functions, no menu options, no function buttons, nor any info in Help or otherwise, to explain how to do this --> transfer LP's or 45's - vinyl records - to digital files.

What is up? Did Magix make a flase claim with their packaging and I (others also) thus get ripped off?

Where are the instructions to transfer vinyl records to electronic media files?

or,  What are the instructions to perform this task?

I am very perturbed at this time.

Comments

Lazerboy wrote on 3/2/2009, 2:47 AM
Honestly.......

...you bought the wrong product. Magix has two product that are exactly for the usecase that you describe:

- Audio Cleaning Lab: recording, cleaning, mastering, burning/converting
http://www.magix.com/us/audio-cleaning-lab/

- Rescue your Vinyl & Tapes: including USB preamp for direct conncetion of your record player.
http://www.magix.com/us/rescue-your-vinyl-tapes/

The MP3 Maker is a music management tool. Of course the product can record also your vinyls, but this is just an ad-on function (I use Mp3 Maker for transfering music to my mobile). But this is easy: You go on the "rec" button (red, right at transport control), you have to decide the source (soundcard, connect your stereo system to your PC - not direct the record player as you would need a preamp)....
Lazerboy wrote on 3/9/2009, 5:58 AM
If you want to record an external source with the MP3 Maker:

- klick on rec Button in the transport bar
- select in the recording dialouge the source "record line in" (select the soundcard)

Try to use the pre-amp that you have bought or go directly out of your stereo system (e.g. through headphones). In this case you do not need the pre amp.
NoTurning wrote on 3/9/2009, 7:48 AM

Hi,
Using the sound card itself is not the best way but it will work... you should also be able to record directly from the USB turntable - it will be an option in your record devices. That will simplify things even further.

I also feel you got ripped off - even though you CAN record an LP... it's not really what it's for. This is very unfortunate but the product you have will serve your purpose well once you get past the learning curve.

Justin