How do I stretch the length of pictures to match up with the music as intended?

ourmonty wrote on 1/4/2015, 5:56 AM

Using Magix Photostory 2015 Deluxe I have attempted to create a Slideshow 'chapter' for my DVD using 80 pictures - each with a 7 seconds viewing (including a 2 second 'scroll' transition).  This equates to a length of slideshow of 9 minutes and 20 seconds.  I then add in music that is a total playing time of 9 minutes and 21 seconds.  For some reason, the length of picture viewing is shortened to half the intended length.  How do I overcome this problem to make the picture viewing equate in length to the music?

I have not had this problem with other DVD making programs.

My operating sytem is Windows 7

I am using a HP Pavilion dv6 computer

The software is Magix Photostory 2015 deluxe downloaded within the last two weeks.

Comments

browj2 wrote on 1/5/2015, 9:34 AM

Hi,

Could you please explain the process?

What I understand is that you put 80 pictures on one track and the total length is as you indicated, then you put audio on another extending over the same length. Then what did you do that could cause the pictures to be reduced in length? Or did you use Slideshow Maker or something? If so,go through the steps and settings in detail.

Last changed by browj2 on 1/5/2015, 9:34 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

ourmonty wrote on 1/5/2015, 5:02 PM

John,

I am sorry but I cannot explain any more than I described other than to say I did it all manually (as I have done with previous programs).  As soon as I added in the transition mode the picture viewing time REDUCED - one would think that would have tended to INCREASE.

However, in saying all this I have since used the Slideshow Wizard and I am getting closer to what I want to achieve. Where I was something like 10% happy, I am now 99% happy.  I am still trying to score it 100%.

Thanks for your response.

Ron

browj2 wrote on 1/6/2015, 12:00 AM

Hi Ron,

Given what you said, that you did it manually, you added 80 images at 7s per image = 9m20s.

Then you applied a 2s transition to each. Go to timeline mode and zoom in on the first few images by reducing the scroll bar at the bottom of the screen.or by using the slider at the upper right of the arranger area. Look at the first image. It is 7s but the transition to slide 2 starts after 5s. How this works is that slide 2 is slid 2s to the left to overlap the first slide. Look at the right of slide 2. The transition to slide 3 starts at 10s. Thus you lose 2s per slide because they overlap to make the transition. As well you slide is on the screen about 3s between the end of the fadein and the beginning of the fadeout. Your total time goes from 9m20s to a theoreticl 6m40s.

If your setup is for NTSC at 29.97fps, you won't get exactly 5s plus a 2s overlap because everything is calculated in frames. After inputting a time of 2s for a transition, check back to see the length. It probably says 1s 29 frames. The main length of 5s will also be modified to handle frames. Normally you would think that it would be exactly 149.85 frames at 29.97fps x 5s. But it may cut this to 149 frames. By the time it's finished, the total length will not be something easily calculable, so let the program do it.

For 80 images that were originally theoritically 7s, with a theoretical 2s transition, meaning effectively 5s, less the dropped fractions of frames, and in my case I ended up with 5m52s and about 10 frames for 80 images. Note that the first and last images don't have a second transition, so in the case of the first image, the transition starts after 5s (images is fully on the screen for 5s).

Thus what you have to do is set up the timeline first, then add in the music to fit the time indicated at the bottom or the end of the timeline.

You did it the other way round. You added your pictures, added music the same length, then shortened the overall length by overlapping the pictures, effectively reducing the movie length.

Last changed by browj2 on 1/6/2015, 12:00 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

ourmonty wrote on 1/11/2015, 10:47 PM

G'day John,

I have now completed 3 separate DVDs using this program.  Each DVD is getting better in final performance.  As they say "One always learns choose whatever age".

I think we can close this inquiry off now.

Thanks

Ron