How do I relink a project to source pictures when I rename the folder that has the pictures?

Erbgins wrote on 4/1/2012, 4:42 PM

I keep my pictures in folders on a hard drive, named by date and month, plus a short descripter of what the pictures are about.  I sometimes change the folder names when I add more pictures to a folder.  The problem is that once I rename the folder, Photostory can't find them when I open the project.  When I look at the media properties, I see it is pointing to the old name of the folder, but I don't see any way to change that.  Am I locked in to never changing the name of a folders in Windows once I use pictures from it in a project?  That seems unstable.  Any suggestions on how to fix or work around?

Thank you.

Comments

Erbgins wrote on 4/1/2012, 8:25 PM

I'm going to take a crack at answering my own question.  I discovered a way to do this, although it is a bit cluncky.  First, open the project and get in storyboard mode.  Then rename the folder with the pictures and open the folder in .  Then click on picture one in the media area.  Click on picture one in the storyboard and the corresponding picture in the media folder and then click the  exchange object button.  This was made for exchanging with the cloud, but it also works between folders on a computer.  The problem is that you have to do it one picture at a time.  I tried selecting all and it did them all, but it changed the order of the storyboard and it included all pictures in the media folder even though I had used only some of them.  Maybe there is a way to give priority to the story board, so you can select them all and have it replace only those objects already in the storyboard and keep them in the same order.  If anyone knows how, please let me know.  Otherwise, I'll keep experimenting.

Erbgins wrote on 4/3/2012, 1:49 AM

After speaking with customer support, I have additional information to share about this issue.  If you go under File/Backup Copy you will see an option to copy the project and media into a folder.  This puts a copy of the original pictures into the folder, so the system no longer has to look for them in the original media folder.  That means the original folders can be renamed without affecting the backup copy of the project.  It also provides another backup for your pictures and project.  I'm going to get another hard drive to put backup copies in, which will have the added benefit of providing a backup in case my media disk crashes.  I hope this is helpful to someone.