Comments

ralftaro wrote on 3/3/2008, 5:13 AM
Depends on a couple of factors, like your sound hardware/driver and what software you're using to perform the recording. What source is being recorded by your software is determined by the Windows/sound card recording mixer settings. Generally, most sound drivers offer you an option here to record the entire stereo mix of the sound sources on your system, which is what you're looking for in order to record some streaming audio that is replayed by a client application on your system or a streaming applet in your web browser.
DogmaDeleted wrote on 6/6/2008, 10:42 AM
Try using a copy of Audacity to record.....Audacity will record anything that goes throuugh your soundcard..ie what you hear through your speakers.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

this is a totaly free downlowd,easy to use and powerful and a programme I use all the time in addition to Magix Musicmaker.
Audacity is perfect for what you need.
press the record button in Audacity then pressthe Play button within the website
when the recording is finished edit any blank spaces at the beggining and finally save the sound file in the format you need (eg mp3,wav etc)
Audacity should work regardless of your soundcard or windows mixer settings(i think!) I have never had to adjust them to use Audacity
NoTurning wrote on 6/19/2008, 7:56 PM

Hi,
While the previous two answers are good ones... neither one works all the time or in all instances. A sure-fire way to record whatever comes through your speakers is to get a 1/8" x 1/8" TRS cable (looks like a headphone jack on each end) and remove the speakers from your sound card. Next plug the new cable into speaker-out and the line-in jacks on your sound card. You won't be able to hear what's being recorded until you reconnect your speakers but you will record anything that goes to your speakers.

You're essentially routing your speakers signal to the line in.

Justin