How do I make my MIDI keyboard controller keys match those on the program?

sabbersolo wrote on 1/30/2009, 6:48 PM
I recently connected my old Roland ED PD-70 keyboard with a usb-to-midi cord and started up Music Maker 14. I'm on channel 1 and there's no sound at all. on channel 16 though the keys do make sound but they they skips notes and are all out of tune. I was told the channel shouldn't matter...
I'm pretty new to these music programs but I've installed all the correct drivers and even tried ASIO4ALL.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Sebastian

Comments

NoTurning wrote on 1/30/2009, 7:36 PM
Hi Sebastian,
First... ASIO has nothing to do with MIDI - you can change those until you're blue in the face. They won't help your MIDI problems.

The channel will dramatically affect your MIDI - 16 is usually reserved for MIDI drum tracks but that's another topic.

The first thing I need you to check is in the Magix Record/Playback settings. Make sure your Roland is listed there. It will NOT be by default - you have to change it from the stock settings. If you have not then it's not right - Magix does not do this for you. Most times that solves the problem.

If that doesn't help let me know and we'll go on to step two.
Justin
NoTurning wrote on 1/31/2009, 6:29 PM

Hi again,
If you choose settings from the file menu and get to the playback parameters (where you choose your audio driver) there is an area to select your MIDI device. Sounds like you may have already done this.

Next, go to Windows sound applet in the Control Panel and make sure your Roland is the preferred MIDI device there. Then (if you don't have any) download a free midi song from the web and play it with Windows media player or Winamp. Do not use Maix for this step.

If everything is ok - the MIDI song should play through your Roland. If not we know the problem is not Magix - if yes then the problem is Magix and we'll go from there.

Justin

NoTurning wrote on 1/31/2009, 8:39 PM

??? You can't play MIDI "through" your PD-70??? I must be confusing yours with another of that era. I thought the PD-70 was similar to the U-20 and is more like a synth than a MIDI controller. Is yours a 90's era keyboard?

In the Windows control panel you need the Sound and Audio applet. Then you can change the MIDI preferred device.

Justin

NoTurning wrote on 2/1/2009, 3:27 PM

Ok - if memory serves that's a silver one right? That is a midi controller and Magix is a little touchy with those.

The best thing to do is load a Midi instrument - a .vst plug-in would work well here. Then try to play the keyboard through the MIDI instrument in Magix. Raw MIDI data from a controller just confuses Magix. Add an instrument and you should be good to go. I know it's not supposed to work that way but that's Magix.

Justin