Comments

siglersmalz wrote on 4/21/2009, 12:58 AM
When I moved my son from an old Windows XP computer to a new Vista computer, I used the exact same version of MM14pe on both PCs.  I also installed it in the same folder locations on the new PC as on the old.

When I restored all of his files from My Documents, his MM projects came up without any issue.

I've never heard of MM being a multiple-author type program. I believe MM assumes only one use on the installed PC will be working on a project.

My recommendation is that you and your friend have the same version of MM installed on your computers and installed with the same folder locations.  The MM projects have pointers to files, some of which are in the temporary folder.

You should probably work out the kinks between two computers at home to simply the learning curve.  It will be important to make sure you identify all of the working files, so good folder management will be key to success.

Once you have the MM environment setup, then it's a matter of version control.  Only one of you can edit the project at a time.  It's the same as a Word document.  If two people edit the same document on two different PCs, the last one to get copied on to a HDD will be the only one that is kept.

In other words, if you make changes, and he makes changes, the you copy his project files onto your PC, your changes will be lost.
NoTurning wrote on 4/21/2009, 7:51 AM
Hi,
Considering how poorly Music Maker handles the files associated with an arrangement; this will be difficult. You say you're working on a drum track - are you creating a midi file? If yes then it's quite easy to bring the midi file to your friend and back again.  Midi files are easy transefer, edit and etc. 
Tranfer your file to a thumb drive or something and open it on your friends computer.
Justin