Comments

Lazerboy wrote on 3/10/2009, 3:20 AM
Honestly, I would say the Music Maker is the wrong product to load a midi file. Of course you have Synthesizer with step sequenzers and grid edit mode, but these are not suitable to load a complete midi arrangement.

If you want to work with midi arrangements, the right product would rather be Samplutude Music Studio.

http://www.magix.com/us/samplitude-music-studio/ 
NoTurning wrote on 3/10/2009, 7:55 AM
Yeah,
Lazerboy is right - though you can stretch Music Maker into a MIDI editor it's not well suited for you. You can double click the MIDI file to bring up the editor. Music Maker has other MIDI tools as well.

You need a MIDI sequencer. A simple web search will produce many FREE (and decent) sequencers. After you have a completed MIDI arrangement you can use Music Maker to mix it with .WAV samples and other effects for a great; polished song.
Justin
NoTurning wrote on 3/10/2009, 11:11 PM

Hi there,
Well... that's a lot. ^_^

First - Music Maker is basically a toy for non-musicians to take that step into music creation. It is VERY useful as it was intended... as a music recording and arranging software (like pro tools and cubase) with a midi supplement... granted a very weak midi supplement.

The midi issues you have are unique to you... it's not a problem with Music Maker. I have Music Maker and it opens standard midi files quite well; I also am able to play my keyboards through Music Maker. Not sure why it won't work for you.

In reality, I use Pro Tools for most of my audio work, sometimes Cubase (but why when you can use pro tools?) and I use Music Maker for .wav editing and effects. It's not a pro audio package... neither is Samplitude but it's A LOT closer.

Not sure what you thought you were getting with Music Maker but it's a tracker/arranger centered around recording and audio files not midi. If you're into midi and not actual recording and audio editing you should consider sticking with the cakewalk products.

Justin

Lazerboy wrote on 3/11/2009, 4:24 AM
Hi,

this is getting an interesting discussion now. Well, I was producer for many years and worked for all big labels. I started with Notator and worked for a decade with Protools and Soundscape.

2 points:
1. Music Maker is no toy!!!! Music Maker is for sure for starters, but also for the non-midi crowd. Today a lot of Djs create music sample based without playing an instrument. It is cool for remixing or also for song creation if you need an easy backround creation to play a Guitar along with it.

2. Samplitude is definetly a real alternative to Cubase and Logic. I used Logic since Atari ST (C-Lab) and now I have changed to Samplitude (stopped at Logic 5.3 on PC). Samplitude is a professional pack. And for a "midi" music creation story, Samplitude music studio (the small pack), is definietly the right choice. I would recommend the newest version, available in the UK....

http://www.magix.com/uk/samplitude-music-studio/
NoTurning wrote on 3/11/2009, 8:22 AM

Hi,
Lichentunes... I say Music Maker can open MIDI files - I also say not very well. You will NOT get them how you want in Music Maker. Do like Lazerboy says and get Samplitude - you can recoupe much of your cost by listing your copy of MM14 on eBay.

Lazerboy... I agree with you that Music Maker is great for creating sample based music and backgrounds; excellent in this area. If you were a producer you should understand the difference between balanced and unbalanced and true stereo and mono... something Music Maker can NOT handle properly. That makes it unacceptable for professional use.

I agree many people use it at a higher level than I think it was intended and I have defended Music Maker many times in this forum... but let's face the facts: it's an entry level product aimed for people who want to play around with samples and music thus making it a toy... I say this in not a negative tone. We call our motorcycles a toy - it's not taking away from it's capability; its' just intended for play.

Anyone who has used Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase and etc. can see the GLARING deficiencies in Music Maker.  Now Music Maker shines in many areas including on the fly manipulation of recorded audio and I often take recorded samples from my Pro Tools interface into Magix to add effects.

You also rightly support Samplitude but there are two lines: Samplitude Music Studio which is an inflated version of Music Maker and a little bit more cost - it still lacks many of the features required in a professional software. Then there is the proper Samplitude: http://www.samplitude.com/eng/sam/uebersicht.html
which cost over $1000.00 for pro version and is an excellent product for pro studio use. This is the product that can compete with Pro Tools and I think is not as well known as it should be.

I like where Samplitude Music Studio is going and I think it can be a real alternative - Magix needs to clean up their code and offer proper product support and this line can be a real competitor.

Justin

NoTurning wrote on 3/11/2009, 8:01 PM

Hi,
You see our dilemma... whether Magix products are coded well or not is another discussion. Generally they do work. I'll give you that most low end products in the same class are easy to get working out of the box. I don't know why Magix can't seem to do this.

The fact remains - they generally do work. Why yours doesn't is a mystery... we talk to people here all the time and their product and midi work - mine works. It doesn't appear that you want to keep Magix so pursuing why you are having trouble is probably pointless.

I'm sorry you're having trouble; it's a really a bummer. I hope you can find a product to meet your needs. Realistically you seem advanced beyond Magix anyway - like I said it's not pro audio software.

Justin