Comments

john-auvil wrote on 7/15/2010, 8:46 AM
<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page WordSection1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->

I have not used the clean-up wizard before, but I back-up my projects so I can remove them, but use them later if needed.

I also do things a bit more managed, so let me explain how I work.

I have created a folder on Desktop called 'Video Projects', and in that folder I create another folder for the project I am working on (I do this for each project). I name this folder what I will call the project, and inside that folder I load everything I know I am going to use in the project. Photos, video, and audio are all in that folder. I then open Movie Edit Pro and assemble my project. When I save, I save my project file to that same project folder, so everything I have for that one project is saved in that one location.

Once I am done with the project, I can back up that project folder to and external hard drive, DVD (if the storage space is applicable) but I use a external USB drive.

The way that I understand Movie Edit Pro to work is this... When you load something into the program, it is loading the information of where the file is installed. If you move a file that you have loaded in a project, then you will compromise the project, as the file location is now different, and the program is looking for the file in the location in which it was originally loaded.

If I take the project folder I have, with all my material (including the project file) and back it up on a external drive, then delete that project folder from my main Video Projects folder, I get back all that hard drive space. I cannot no longer load it from the program, but the program will still show me the that the project exists

If I ever need to get that project back, I will take the entire project folder from the external drive and copy it back into the Video Projects folder on desktop... This way, the files are in the exact location they were when I had created the project. Movie Edit Pro will open the project as if it was never missing.

MAGIX also has a feature of backing up the project... If you were to back up the project and media, it allows you to select the location.

I am still set in my old school ways of working, before the programs started making this easier. I might try this clean-up wizard, just to get an idea of how it works, but the way I have been working, I have not lost any data or projects in years. Old habits are hard to break.