Frame around Preview Editing Screen

Xenofex2 wrote on 2/15/2024, 1:47 PM

I think I have finally found my answer but just hope to seek confirmation. I am working on editing a 5:4 video that because it was originally recorded at night, it is quite hard to see the outside edges of the video to be able to zoom in. Am I right in saying that if I go to Effects/Movie Settings/and then tick ‘show screen in preview monitor’ that this will automatically set it to whatever ratio I am working in, in this case 5:4? So if I zoom in when editing, then whatever I can see within this white border would be exported?

But then not sure what it means underneath this screen though – ‘Note in order to limit individual objects to the visible range, please select border cropping adjustment in the video cleaning dialog under the TV cleaning image.’ I have a tick in ‘export selected range only’ but cannot see anywhere this ‘border cropping adjustment’ option.

I have MEP 21.0.1.104 and a 16:9 monitor.

George

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 2/15/2024, 3:32 PM

@Xenofex2

Hi George

. . . . Effects/Movie Settings/and then tick ‘show screen in preview monitor’ that this will automatically set it to whatever ratio I am working in, in this case 5:4? . . . .

This will put an overlay on the preview monitor showing the Text safe area inside this which text and any images/video will always be visible on the TV screen, also note the message indicated in the yellow rectangle

and it looks like this

Old valve TV's actually cropped the transmitted image by up to 10 - 12 % on all 4 sides.

Modern flat screen TV's crop less than this, usually 0 - 5%.

To make your 5:4 image fill the screen edge to edge use the Size Position & Rotation effect and set the width to that of the project setting, this will zoom the image and be centred in the monitor, you can use the Vertical position control to move up/down if required.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 2/15/2024, 3:35 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Xenofex2 wrote on 2/16/2024, 3:50 AM

Thankyou John. It worked great.

George