External Control surface Automation (MCU)

Rednroll wrote on 5/26/2019, 4:43 PM

Hi,

I just purchased a Behringer X-Touch One control surface. I'm currently trying to get it set up in Acid Pro 8, as well as Vegas Pro 16. I seem to have it setup in the options menus under the midi tab and External Control & Automation tab, as well as enabled external control surface. I've got it setup to use the Mackie Control Unit interface. It works great in that the control surface is displaying the timeline counter during playback. The control surface transport buttons are working. The individual track volume, pan, mute and solo work.

However, for the life of me I can't figure out how to configure Acid so that I can record automation such as track volume fader movements. Which seems really odd to me because when I have automation disabled on an individual track, I'm able to control the track's volume fader with the control surface but when I then enable the track to record automation, then the track volume fader no longer responds to the control surface's volume fader. I was expecting to be able to use the control surface to be able to record track volume fader automation in Acid and then when playing back, Acid would send those fader movements back to the control surface where I should see the control surface fader move with the volume envelope since it has a motorized fader. I'm having the exact same problem in Vegas Pro 16.

What am I missing?

Comments

Rednroll wrote on 5/27/2019, 5:45 PM

I figured this out. I had to go into the X-Touch ONE configuration settings and map a button to the MCU "READOFF" defined command.

It looks like I need to either reverse engineer ACID and VEGAS MCU command mappings to determine which function in each they map to in the DAW.

In case anyone else has this problem, here's what I found.

The MCU "READOFF" command when mapped to a button on the controller, will toggle the controller to either control/read the Acid/Vegas non automation faders/controls or the automation fader/controls. I was able to do this by changing the X-Touch ONE to the "MCU user" configuration, which then allows you to map pre-defined MCU commands to specific buttons.

steven-cluthe wrote on 6/10/2019, 8:30 PM
  • I ran across this using a zoom hd16, it's been driving me nuts. Thanks for the insight
Isaiah-Baker wrote on 7/30/2019, 9:19 PM

I figured this out. I had to go into the X-Touch ONE configuration settings and map a button to the MCU "READOFF" defined command.

It looks like I need to either reverse engineer ACID and VEGAS MCU command mappings to determine which function in each they map to in the DAW.

In case anyone else has this problem, here's what I found.

The MCU "READOFF" command when mapped to a button on the controller, will toggle the controller to either control/read the Acid/Vegas non automation faders/controls or the automation fader/controls. I was able to do this by changing the X-Touch ONE to the "MCU user" configuration, which then allows you to map pre-defined MCU commands to specific buttons.

where do you edit that though? no where can I set that in the acid pro 9 software that I can see