expired "Website M" what happens with my domain name?

Matt-Orwin wrote on 6/20/2021, 11:38 AM

I had the "website M" package since purchasing web designer premium. I purchased a domain name with the voucher that came with the software, but I haven't published a website by the name yet. But, now my 1 year of free "website M" subscription has ended. I now almost have a website ready to publish now, so what do I need to do to publish it? Is purchasing a domain name different to the website M subscription? Is owning a domain name a yearly cost or a 1-off cost (or in my case included with the xara premium software)? Do I still own the domain name which I purchased, even though "website M" has expired? Do I simply have to purchase another 1 year "website M" subscription, and then I can publish my website with this domain name? Or alternatively, if I upgrade my Xara premium software, could I use the inclusive 1 year of "website M" subscription for this domain name? ....(in fact, thinking around these questions, would purchasing a software upgrade give me another free domain name purchase, or not?)

Thanks, Matt

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 6/21/2021, 5:52 AM

@Matt-Orwin

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum.

Did you not receive any communication that the Website M hosting was coming up for renewal ?

I would suggest you contact Magix by email to infoservice@magix.net

If you purchased a Domain name independent of Magix, then this is a separate cost from the hosting. The frequency of renewal will depend on the domain type you purchased, this is usually annually or every 2 years - you will also get notification of when this comes up for renewal.

You can check the registration details and expiry date using the domain checker web sites such as Whois, Eurid, for the appropriate domain type you have.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Matt-Orwin wrote on 6/21/2021, 7:32 AM

Thanks very much John for replying, some useful information there, already clearer than I could find through Magix or Xara sites. Especially an email address for contacting them - that completely evaded me, so thanks for that, I'll send my questions on to them too.

I purchased my domain through Magix. I'm new to all of this, so I went for the seemingly straightforward option of purchasing Xara web designer premium software, which comes with a voucher to purchase a domain name with 1 year's subscription to website M. I thought these were the same thing in fact, but the domain and website m seem disconnected now. I received the reminder emails but left it too late for renewal, and now I have lots of emails about website M ending and how I can transfer my domain to another host, but nothing telling me what I can do if I want to just rejoin website M with my purchased domain. So I'm basically lost enough to be at risk of buying the wrong thing next, haha. So thanks again for you pointers there, much appreciated!

Cheers, Matt