DVD writer

Jutt wrote on 11/14/2020, 9:12 PM

Tried to burn a short 3 minute DVD with the free trial version and received the error: 'Unfortunately, the function DVD is not available due to licensing conditions". Does this mean I can't burn a short DVD as the 'free trial' said I could or is there some other problem? Disappointing that there is no way to communicate with anyone (like live chat or phone call) before buying the software.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 11/15/2020, 4:02 AM

@Jutt

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

All Magix "trial" versions of its software include some degree of limitation when compared with the full, purchased version. For Photostory it seems that one of those limitations is DVD Burning.

You say the free trial said I could. Can you show us where, exactly, you saw this because if it does actually state that then DVD Burning should be available to you? However, I suspect you may have misunderstood what you read: the full, purchased version certainly allows DVD Burning. I have used it for this purpose a number of times.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Jutt wrote on 11/16/2020, 10:10 AM

The message was displayed when I installed the trial version. It read: THIS IS A TRIAL VERSION OF THE PROGRAM. DURING THE TRIAL PERIOD ALL OUTPUT OPTIONS (E.G. EXPORT, BURNING) ARE LIMITED TO 3 MINUTES IN LENGTH'. I cut the output to 90 seconds but it still would not burn a DVD. Same message as before. So apparently there is no way to find out if the program will work in burning a DVD before purchasing it, and no guarantee that it will work, hence no refund. disappointing because the generated presentation seemed excellent on my pc.

Jutt

Jutt wrote on 11/16/2020, 10:22 AM

Any ideas why MAGIX does not offer any form of inquiry or communication except via forum? This is really an exception from mainstream businesses. I really hate to pass up on this software but if I can't get confirmation or guarantee from MAGIX that it will work I will have to look elsewhere.

emmrecs wrote on 11/16/2020, 11:19 AM

@Jutt

To answer your second question first: like a large number of companies whose markets are international, Magix chooses to have a user to user forum as the first port of call for potential users who have specific "problems" with their software. Once purchase is made, and the user "registered", "official" support channels become available.

As to the matters in your earlier post: there does seem to be some contradictory statements between what that initial message told you and what you have actually experienced. I cannot explain this but two things are worthy of mention:

1. Magix offer a 30 day refund on software purchases if the user decides it does not "work" as he/she wished
  2. As I stated before, I have burned several DVDs from the output of PS Deluxe. Assuming that your computer can "see" your DVD Writer, there should be no problem.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Jutt wrote on 11/16/2020, 1:11 PM

Thanks Jeff. Assuming I will be able to write/burn a DVD so I'll take a chance in a day or so. Right now I have to convert a MOV file to a usable format (like AVI) so I can test out a homemade movie with photostory.

Jutt