DVD with AC3 audio import?

afrobluee wrote on 9/24/2009, 2:17 PM

I have a DVD that has AC3 audio.  I am attempting to import it into MCE15 (by adding the VOB files).  However, the audio always says that it was imported using the MPEG module, and my other audio channels are empty.  How can I get my real audio imported?

I think I should explain a little bit more.  When I put my source DVD into my player, I get sound from all 5 speakers.  However, even if I set the burn options to do AC3, the resulting disc only sends sound to the main 2 speakers.  That's the problem I'm really trying to fix.

Thanks.

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 10/7/2009, 7:52 AM
Hi there,

I guess the first question that needs to be answered is what version of Movie Edit Pro you're using. Is it one of the more recent ones that uses its own AC3 decoding and handling routines?

Right now, your import is obviously being mixed down to Stereo (being represented by just one single stereo track in the Movie Edit Pro timeline). You will need to have the 5.1 Dolby codec and surround sound system activated in order to extract the AC3 surround audio from DVD material into the MEP arranger and edit and export it in surround mode. This is an additional, optional feature in MEP 14+ and 15+ that you will have to purchase and activate.

If you're using an older version of MEP, importing Dolby 5.1 through an external codec, there's no way to just handle it as surround sound in MEP and export it to DVD as such again. In this case, you might want to consider an upgrade to MEP 15+.

I hope this information helps!