Does Windows 7 break Movie Edit Pro 14?

Spark wrote on 8/11/2009, 5:48 PM
Hi,

The final release of Windows 7 is out now (at least to MSDN testers). Obviously Magix should have tested this already but I can't seem to find out. If I upgrade my Vista box to Windows 7 will it break Movie Edit Pro 14? I'd rather not waste the money an find out it isn't compatible. I'm sure Magix will be flooded with questions about this soon.

Comments

dagunster wrote on 8/12/2009, 1:46 PM
Obviously  .... upgrade operating systems at your own risk.

As you stated, Windows 7 isn't even out yet ... so the question cannot be answered at this time.
Spark wrote on 8/12/2009, 3:01 PM
Hi,

Windows 7 has been finalized and is out so this question can be answered now. The general public can't buy Windows 7 at a store yet but anyone with an MSDN or Technet subscription can install the retail version of Windows 7 as of August 6, 2009. This is the same version the rest of the world will soon see and anyone can buy these subscriptions from MS if they want.

My question remains, has anyone tried it with Windows 7, or at least the Windows 7 release candidate? Surely Magix should know this since as software developers they surely have MSDN subscriptions giving them access to Win 7. (MS Developer Network)

I'll try to be polite here. Comments suggesting try it at your own risk or it's not out do nothing to answer the question. It's obvious there is a risk if Magix doesn't confirm it themselves, and there is no question about the final version of Windows being ready (As stated, it's already out). I'm surprised Magix hasn't mentioned it, or perhaps they have but I'm not aware. I guess legally they might not be able to claim compatibility without forking over money to MS for certification.

Either way their support people are going to be getting a lot of questions and they should answer them now. I certainly wouldn't suggest buying new software from any company right now unless they indicate they work with Win 7. And software companies have to know that people are going to upgrade and if it doesn't work with their old software they aren't going to be happy.
crx686 wrote on 8/14/2009, 11:45 AM
Hi

I am running windows 7 RC on my machine and I installed Movie Edit pro 14.  The only thing i have found not to be working is, It can't see my DVD Writer so I can't burn any DVDS with it. what i do is I make or edit the video save it to my network drive then I have Movie edit pro installed on another machine to record it on DVD through my network. But other then that I haven't had any problems yet I made 2 movies on it so far.

But if anyone knows of any patch or configuration that I don't know of.  on how to get my DVD Burner working in movie edit pro 14 On windows 7 RC If there is one.

Thanks

Spark wrote on 8/17/2009, 4:20 PM
I rebuilt a computer with Windows 7 (the final version, not the RC) and it won't install.

"To continue with the MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 14 PLUS installation please install another Windows version"

Perhaps it would work if I just upgraded a Vista box with Movie Edit already installed but crx mentioned that there were issues with that regarding the DVD player.

Hopefully Magix is working for a patch for V14. If anyone has tried V15 let us know. I've been thinking about upgrading (even though Magix doesn't offer upgrade pricing grrrr), but there is no point if it won't run on Windows 7. If Magix expects me to upgrade (say to 15.1) just to get it working on Win 7 I think I'd forget about it. Companies should support all OS's for relatively new software (and hardware).
Ceilimor wrote on 9/16/2009, 3:22 PM
Hihi, having trouble with windows 7 and mepv.14 here myself. It actually won't let me finalize the installation. Does the whole installation then I start the programme and it asks for the disc.. I put in the disc and it tells me that it's not a valid copy! I paid good money for this!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.