Does Video Saver leave drop-outs?

Hektor_Kotte wrote on 8/8/2011, 8:25 AM

I'm thinking about buying Magix Video Saver.

I bought another similar product a few years ago (Canopus ADVC-55), and was very happy with the picture and sound quality. But it was extremely sensitive to disturbances on the video tape, which resulted in drop-outs in the created file.

So it wasn't "what you see is what you get". I could watch the video tapes with a few disturbances. But when I watched the same sequence on my computer, the frames with disturbances were just left out.

Sometimes the disturbances on the tape were even too small to notice, but still resulted in a small drop-out. (So in those cases, I'm just guessing there was a disturbance on the tape.)

If there were big disturbances on the tape, it could result in about half a second drop-out in the resulting video file on my computer. Very annoying. I'd rather see the disturbances than having the film "jump" like that.

Does anybody know how Magix Video Saver can handle video tapes with disturbances? Do you get the same thing on your computer screen as you see on your TV? Or do you get drop-outs if the tape isn't perfect? And also, can anybody compare this product with the one I bought earlier as it comes to picture and sound quality? Are they equally good?

Comments

john-auvil wrote on 8/8/2011, 8:35 AM

I am not sure what would cause that to happen. I have used the Magix product for capturing old VHS tapes and I have not noticed anything where it drops, unless there is an issue with the PC. 

I haven't used a Canopus product since 2003/2004, I am also not sure if the technology has changed, I would say the image result is very comparable from what I remember for the Magix product (Rescue Your Videotapes here in North America).

I am not sure how else to answer this as I cannot recall any of my VHS having any issues, they had always been stored in their protective cases. Perhaps another user can elaborate on the issue of disturbances or flaws.