DN-e1 Cuts out in every bar

Chris-Wakefield wrote on 5/1/2023, 5:11 PM

Hi

If I'm playing DN-e1 instruments they stop dead at the same place every bar (around 3/4), but they can be retriggered.

So, long chords stop at that place, any delay echoes stop at that place.

It's unusable for me.

I've checked ASIO and buffer settings, changed sample rate, no other VST is affected just this one.

It's not something in the track, and it's doing my head in.

Any help? I even ordered a new audio interface thinking it's ASIO related, but again, no other VST's stop echoing or chords playing like this.

Can you help?

Cheers

Comments

SP. wrote on 5/2/2023, 2:07 AM

@Chris-Wakefield Are you using a specific preset? The length of the note depends on the Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release settings.

Chris-Wakefield wrote on 5/2/2023, 12:33 PM

No it's not that, it litterally cuts even if a note is played fresh just before this same point, or like I said, it could be that the echo/delay stops, or if it's a sustained not it chops at this point no matter when it's played - it's not a parameter of the synth. Thanks anyway.

SP. wrote on 5/2/2023, 12:59 PM

@Chris-Wakefield Does this also happen if you add long MIDI notes in the MIDI editor?

Can you try it without ASIO? For example change the driver to Direct Sound and play back some premade MIDI notes (live input will not work with Direct Sound but playback should work). If Direct Sound works correctly, there might be a problem with the ASIO driver.

Chris-Wakefield wrote on 5/2/2023, 4:20 PM

Hi, OK so I tried Direct Sound and it worked wihtout the glitch.

However, I've just taken delivery of a Native Instruments Audio Interface with it's own ASIO drivers and tried that, completely different audio hardware and drivers and the problem returns.

I've tried increasing the ASIO buffer and it makes no difference.

Other VST Instruments seem OK.

I'm going to probably have to leave Magix Music Maker if this kind of thing is the norm unfortunately.

Any other ideas? Greatly appreciated.

Chris

PS. Just to add also, if I stop playback of the sequencer and play the DN-e1 there are no issues, notes play as long as they should (indefinitely in some cases like arpeggiated or strings). It is only when playing the sequencer and looping is active. No matter how long the selected area to loop, the instrument stops about 2 or three bets from the end abrubtly and must be retriggered?

SP. wrote on 5/2/2023, 5:17 PM

@Chris-Wakefield Ok, there seems something wrong with the ASIO communication. Have you tried to reset the program settings under the File > Settings menu? Often this might help.

Chris-Wakefield wrote on 5/2/2023, 5:39 PM

Yes I've tried it before, but I've just done it again - no difference unfortunately. I've noticed that Grand Piano LE also does it. Basically whatever the selection is for looping, about a beat before the end, before it loops, the instrument stops, the midi input light is still lit, just the instrument cuts.

SP. wrote on 5/2/2023, 5:41 PM

@Chris-Wakefield What happens if you make the loop range larger? Does it only happen in the last beat before the loop ends?

Chris-Wakefield wrote on 5/2/2023, 6:13 PM

Yes exactly, or, if I play the instrument without the sequencer playing no problems.

SP. wrote on 5/2/2023, 7:00 PM

@Chris-Wakefield One last idea I have for now is that you have USB selective suspend enabled in the Windows energy settings. This will power down USB connections to save energy and can cause troubles with USB audio interfaces. Your computer should always run with maximum performance settings.

Have you already contacted technical support? After you click on the SUPPORT link at top of this page and then select your product, you need to scroll down to bottom of the next page and click on Contact Support. Then you can create a ticket. Maybe they can find a cause for this. Could be a bug in the Music Maker audio engine.

Chris-Wakefield wrote on 5/3/2023, 3:37 AM

Hi, thanks for the suggestion but I've already configured power saving and suspend modes on USB, Processor throttling etc. to optimise windows for audio.

I haven't contacted support yet I thought I'd try here first. I'm going to do that now, thanks for your help though.

Anybody else with any suggestions please feel free to chip in because as it stands it's just a waste of my money and time, even buying a sound card to try to fix things :(

johnebaker wrote on 5/3/2023, 9:03 AM

@Chris-Wakefield

Hi

What is the specification of your computer system including Windows version and program version, see this topic for what is required and please quote processor, audio chipset/device and graphics card make/model in full, and also what monitor/screen resolution(s) you are working with if this is a laptop.

I would suggest you put this information in your profile signature so we do not have to keep asking for it.

If you start a new project and add the DN-e1 by dragging it onto to the timeline does the sample object, see image below from MMM 2023 v31.0.5.53, play OK with the ASIO driver?

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Chris-Wakefield wrote on 5/3/2023, 12:41 PM

Hi John, I can provide my specification no problem can you tell me how that helps you? It's an i7 8GB Radeon GFX I can go into more detail but I feel by your suggestion you haven't read the problem. I have spoken with Support now, they have found this issue too but it's only affected a small number of people and they say it's no big deal and I can live wiht it or get a refund as to fix the issue would involve rewriting the audio engine and that's unlikely. I am not happy.

johnebaker wrote on 5/3/2023, 1:27 PM

@Chris-Wakefield

Hi

. . . . can you tell me how that helps you . . . .

Sure - my thinking was this:

• The issue is not one we have seen before in the forum and is therefore somewhat 'unique'.

• If the sample MIDI file loaded to the timeline does not play OK then there is a higher probability of a software/audio hardware conflict.

Hence my request for the hardware specification of your PC, however, from what Magix Support have said 'only affected a small number of people' and an engine rewrite would be required, would suggest to me that there is an audio hardware/software 'conflict' or 'behaviour', that occurs under very specific conditions, cutting off the note synthesis before its true end point is reached.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

browj2 wrote on 5/3/2023, 5:36 PM

@Chris-Wakefield @johnebaker @SP.

Hi Chris,

It was hard trying to understand exactly what you meant so I'll rephrase it with illustrations. I can replicate this problem on my two computers.

Load DNe1 onto a track. Adjust the right end of the range bar to be at 3 or 4 bars. MIDI Rec on. Looping on. Start recording. Using the in-app keyboard or an external keyboard, hold down a key (or play several but hold down one key starting a few beats before the end of the loop. Just before the playback marker gets to the end of the loop (the right end of the range bar), the sound will stop playing. Keep holding down the key for a bar or 2. Stop. The MIDI object will show as being continuous from before the end of the range and continuing on beyond the end of the range. So, the problem is that playback of the held down key stops during recording in loop mode just before the end of the loop.

I first tried this with just DNe1 load. Then I tried with a loop on track 1, DNe1 on track 2. Then with Vita loaded on track 3. In all cases, the sound cuts out just before the end of the loop and does not come back unless/until another key is pressed. In the image above, I show approximately where the sound cuts out. I tried with the Cello loaded on track 4 with the same result. It is not just with DNe1.

With looping off, no problem.

Looks like a bug to me. We are supposed to be able to record in looping mode.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Chris-Wakefield wrote on 5/3/2023, 6:35 PM

Yes that looks like it, also, if you record a block of midi, and repeat (copy it in several times) it does the same on each block, not just the range. But get this response from Magix...

If I understand your problem situation correctly, what you're describing is a known issue that I recently reported to development. I would expect that the problems caused by this are not that severe. As you correctly stated, this will only be an issue if the MIDI notes in question are towards the end of the loop range. Also, this will have *no* effect on the rendered outcome of your project and the smaller glitches will only occur during real-time playback in the arranger. Unfortunately, we don't expect a solution here very soon. This will be more of a long shot, probably only completely resolved by the introduction of a completely new audio engine in the future. If you really find it impossible to use the software under these circumstances, I can only offer you a cancellation and refund. We hope for your understanding. Please let me know how you wish to proceed. Thanks!

I mailed back suggesting it is severe enough a problem, the response...

Depending on your specific workflow, this could or couldn not be a problem. To my knowledge, you're the second user reporting this.As discussed, if you want us to cancel and refund the order, please let me know and make sure to include your original MAGIX webshop order number. Thanks.

Is it just me? Or is this not like, an actual problem, because it sounds jarringly bad when I'm trying to make music....considering making music is the very title of the software? I give in, the problem is just not enough a problem to Magix obviously.

I think I'll end up taking my refund to be honest, to put towards the soud card I bought thinking it would fix the problem, fortunatey I got a version of Ableton Live with it.

browj2 wrote on 5/4/2023, 7:24 AM

@Chris-Wakefield

Hi Chris,

I don't really see any great problem with this. From recollection, the idea of using loop in this type of playing is to practice, not record. With looping on, anything that you record will continue on past the object that is looped. Upon playback, you won't have the looped object playing past its end.

When you record, you should not be looping. In my image, you see the object on track 1 that loops. When making a song for real, the object has to be repeated on the Arranger for the full duration that you want, not just a bar or two. If not, then anything that comes after the object will not have the object playing. Thus, do not use looping for recording. Make your objects full duration and then record with looping off. Make sure the range bar covers the duration that you want to record.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Chris-Wakefield wrote on 5/4/2023, 2:50 PM

Except that even with loop off and you are playing a repeated riff block copied multiple times it does the same before the end of each and every repeated block... Kills the instrument and it's sustain or pressed cord absolutely dead in its tracks for no good reason.

Again, this is not merely recording, this is playing back too, what is a selection loop for if you can't play the selected area on loop without the instruments stopping?

I often do this to test layering up ideas, so I'm recording a different track entirely whilst the other track is dropping a note every time, how is that even remotely acceptable?

Also, if you are recording with loop on to build layers in real time are we honestly saying it's ok that your cord or your strings stop dead or miss a note entirely?

Yes you might not experience the problem if you work a certain way, but I do loop, and I do repeat blocks, and I don't expect to drop notes or the instrument to stop entirely even missing a note entirely if the mysterious stop area is where a note was recorded.

Personally, I find the notion that this is an OK problem preposterous. If it weren't, cubase, ableton and FL Studio would also allow such issues, but they don't because it's a major fail if the musician's notes simply eff off into the ether.

SP. wrote on 5/4/2023, 2:57 PM

@Chris-Wakefield The processing of audio object ends at the edge of the object. If you want to repeat it, enable object loop mode instead of copying and then you can drag it over your compete project.

I think the problems stems from the way MIDI is processed. MIDI sends Note On and Note Off messages depending on when you press a key and when you release it. If you loop the MIDI object without stopping the notes at the end, these notes would play indefinitely because the instrument would never receive the Note Off message.

Chris-Wakefield wrote on 5/4/2023, 6:48 PM

Yeah I get that thanks for your input. That's not what's going on here unfortunately. Firstly it's not at the end, randomly it's about one of two beats before at a random place, secondly you can see the midi triggers doing what I've told them to do, it's the instrument that stoos playing. Look above at the comment by someone who indicates where the problem is with s graphic.