DIstortion/clipping in recording preview mode.

Mark-Martucci wrote on 7/14/2021, 9:56 PM

This issue is occurring in Acid Pro Suite.

I have come across this issue with a few projects. Some small with only 5-10 tracks, and some with 50+ tracks.

I'm recording into an Arturia Audiofuse 8 pre, and using the audiofuse asio driver to record into acid. I start a project with no issues, but at some point I start getting very heavy clipping and distortion when recording an audio track. The distortion isn't there when the recording button is active but not recording to an actual audio file. So I can practice along with the track with no issues until I actually record it. The thing is, when I play the recording back there is no distortion. It only happens when i'm actually recording. The distortion is so bad that I can't hear what i'm playing. It's a digital distortion, like playing midi with the sample rate wrong.

My projects are a mix of midi and audio recordings.

I tried deleting 20+ tracks to see if it was an issue of having too many tracks, but the same exact distortion happens with less tracks.

I just updated my preamp today and am still getting the same issue, so the problem is in the program.

Comments

sheppo wrote on 7/16/2021, 6:32 AM

hi, @Mark-Martucci

this may be related to temporary storage used to store the recorded audio. e.g. if drive is too slow. Try going to tools-settings-folders, and setting the temporary and record folders to be on different drives.

It could also be due to the ASIO and Acid buffers being too small. I'm not familiar with the audiofuse ASIO driver, but ASIO4ALL allows you to set the buffers size, so check for a similar setting in your ASIO driver. Obviously, be mindful of setting this too high and the impact that could have on delay when recording and playing back.

Mark-Martucci wrote on 7/16/2021, 10:17 AM

Thanks @sheppo

I'm going to try recording to an internal drive and see if that speeds things up.

I was actually able to trace the issue to applying a vst plugin to the master volume. Doing this should be an issue since you should be able to apply plugins to the master track when mastering an entire project. Seems a bit buggy, but at least I can record a track without the distortion.