DISK FULL!?

ThisSpitefulSnake wrote on 4/15/2009, 10:30 AM
So, I'm trying to export a .MOV file as uncompressed .AVI in Magix Movie Edit Pro 15 with the settings - 1280 x 720, 59.94 fps, 48000 Hz, Stereo and it's only about 4:10 long. It gets to the size of 34gb during exporting and then I it says my disk is full. What's up with this? The movie shouldn't be 34gb big. Thanks in advance.

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 4/16/2009, 10:10 AM
Hi,

With uncompressed AVI files (or other codecs that could fall into the lossless category) you will definitely get massive file sizes, especially with HD material. I'm not surprised at all. I suppose the question is: What do you actually want to do with those uncompressed AVI files? The only time you will really need files with little or no compression is when you need an intermediate authoring format to be stored or transfered into another work environment, e.g. if you're sharing work between several people. Is that really what you're trying to do? In this case, you would make sure to use a format that is actually useful and widely supported across the different platforms and video editing solutions.

If you're exporting the result of your work to be replayed and presented somewhere, pick a format/medium that can actually be replayed by your target device. Just picking uncompressed AVI to retain good quality (which was probably your motivation) won't help if your target device cannot play this format.

Maybe you can further clarify what you're trying to do and we can give you some more tips. Either way, whether you're exporting to uncompressed AVI or highly compressed formats, video editing will always require a whole lot of hard drive space and other system resources. If you only have 34 GB hard drive space left, you might want to invest in an additional drive of 500 GB or 1 TB to make sure you always have the resources you need for an enjoyable video editing session. :-)