Difficulty Importing Video, No Sound on what I can import

travisty wrote on 8/7/2009, 7:14 PM
Just purchased Magix Movie Edit Pro 15 today and have installed and registered the project.

I am a university student, and I need to make a short (15 minute) compilation of various scenes from 4 different movies for a final project in a class.  I have three of these movies from downloaded sources, and one from a DVD.  One of the movies is a foreign film in .divx format which this program doesn't even recognize as being a valid file type, another is a US film in .avi which it does recognize, but won't load at all.   Another is an .avi file which it recognizes and loads, but then refuses to give me sound, only video.  And the fourth is a DVD which I will have to worry about how to import for the 3-4 scenes I need once I get the other three movies figured out.

I wanna just shoot people for making this so complicated.  I am not a software pirate, I am not trying to do anything harmful, I just need to extract some scenes so I can get a reasonable grade in my University course.   Can anyone help?  I don't know what even to tell you, or what questions to begin with.  I just try to import a file, and it either won't "see" it, or on the file it does recognize, it will give me video but no sound.  This is highly frustrating, and to be honest, I have no desire to become a full fledged expert in video editing, I just want to get this done for my course.

Help.

Comments

siglersmalz wrote on 8/8/2009, 12:23 AM
Hi Travisty,

I understand your problem, unfortunately, movie editing isn't really all that simple and straight forward.  I've had a long history of problems using AVI movies in MEP and I avoid them like the plague.  However, others swear by them.  I believe there are different formats for AVI movies, so (again) it gets complex.

Probably the simplest approach would be to convert all of your movies to a standard format, like .mpg.  Check out a program called Tunebite at www.tunebite.com

It costs some money, but I believe it has a free demo.  I bought it a while back, so I don't know the details about the demo.  It's well worth the money because it converts anything to anything, even audio file formats.  Very useful for converting movies for your portable player.  I use it to convert videos for my ipod touch.

Once you convert your movies to .mpg format, you shouldn't have any problems editing them in MEP.

Good luck
travisty wrote on 8/8/2009, 10:04 AM
I didn't buy a $50.00 program (on a college kids budget) so I can spend another $60.00 on a different product that would make my $50.00 product work MAYBE. 

Can anyone help me, or is this forum a way for people to advertise other companies products only?
SverreP wrote on 8/10/2009, 1:09 PM
Try Super, a free multiformat converter. "convert (encode) or play any Multimedia file" http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html I've been in your situation many times. There's hardly any software out there that works without a flaw. Hope this one works, it worked great for me. Took a looong time though, but that's video editing.