Crashing and Freezing During Edit

RichardDP wrote on 1/22/2024, 11:27 AM

This is a sense check really. I have been having problems with a project I am working on stitching together an old holiday video.

The original video elements are rather large rips from DVDs. Each DVD is around 4GB and there are four of them.

The project was running fine up to the end of the second DVD rip. I had be trimming and adding transitions etc. However at that point some strange things started happening. The project wouldn't let me place anything on track 2, saying there was already something there which meant it couldn't be placed. However I could place things on other tracks. Then shortly afterwards the software would freeze up and become unresponsive if I tried to make any further edits.

My PC has 8GB of RAM so I am assuming this might be a memory issue, so what I have decided to do is export what I have and then reload it into a new project to continue editing. Is this the right approach? And am I right in thinking that export as a MAGIX file would be the best option in terms of quality?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Comments

CubeAce wrote on 1/22/2024, 1:54 PM

@RichardDP

Hi Richard.

While 8GBs of ram is not that large, I'm surprised if it is a problem using files ripped from DVDs. As they are discs you have made are they standard file resolutions and frame rates or where they for use in a computer?

It would be good to have MediaInfo data from the project files.

Try deleting track 2 to see if there is nothing on there. If there is something on there, that could be causing a problem.

If you get a warning while trying to delete track two, still delete the track and see if your project plays as expected.

If it doesn't play as expected then there was something on track 2 you needed. Just don't save the project but close it and then re-open it. The track with content should come back. Try then to zoom into the timeline to find out what is is.

The amount of edits could mount up the amount of ram in use, especially if you are doing anything other than butt joins. Any sharpening and colour correction also eats up a lot of ram.

Try to look through your taskbar Manager settings and stop anything you don't need from starting when you start the machine that could eat up memory.

As for using Magix files. I don't use them so really not in a position to advise.

How long is the project?

Other things that can use up a lot of memory are the choices made within the device options but without a complete list of your system specs it is very hard to judge what can or cannot be done.

Ray.

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 22H2 OS build 19045.5011

Direct X 12.1 latest hardware updates for Western Digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2130 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1000 watt EVGA modular power supply.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.81 - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

Running MMS 2024 Suite v 23.0.1.182 (UDP3) and VPX 14 - v20.0.3.180 (UDP3)

M Audio Axiom AIR Mini MIDI keyboard Ver 5.10.0.3507

VXP 14, MMS 2024 Suite, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio. Mixcraft Pro 10 Studio.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Ram Acoustic Studio speakers amplified by NAD amplifier.

Rogers LS7 speakers run from Cambridge Audio P50 amplifier

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

johnebaker wrote on 1/23/2024, 3:05 AM

@RichardDP

Hi

. . . . The original video elements are rather large rips from DVDs. Each DVD is around 4GB and there are four of them. . . . PC has 8GB of RAM . . . assuming this might be a memory issue . . . export what I have and then reload it into a new project to continue editing. Is this the right approach? . . . .

Assuming at 4GB per DVD this is approximately 90 mins runtime per DVD if all of it has been ripped, and given your PC has 8GB of RAM, I would suggest you do as you have commented, however change your workflow, to reduce the load on the PC and make editing easier, for the remaining 2 DVD's.

Work on each one in separate projects, if you are adding titles, effects etc do as much as possible in the separate projects.

When editing of these is complete, export as Magix video files (MXV) and then import the 3 MXV files in a new project adding the final transitions and any background music.

Export as required.

If exporting as a video file for playing on a TV I would suggest you export at the DVD resolution, 720x576 or 720x480 depending on whether your are in a PAL or NTSC region, and let the TV do the upscaling - the image quality will be better than upscaling in the program.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.