Could someone explain, simply, how to make the background of a close-up photo white?

delilah24 wrote on 10/22/2014, 9:59 PM

I am taking close-up photos of small handmade items I wish to sell online.  I have used the trial and error method thus far.. .turns out, all error!  I need simple instructions on how to make the background of my photos white to emphasize the items I wish to sell.  I would totally appreciate someone taking time to explain.

I am using the free version of Magix Photo Designer 7

Windows 7 on my desktop Asus PC.  (not Mac)  

Not sure if my selection below "Product selection" is correct.  Did not see Magix Photo Designer 7 there.

Thanks

Comments

browj2 wrote on 10/26/2014, 2:20 PM

Hi,

I see that no one has dared tackle this trick question.

You say that you are taking close-up photos and you want the background to be white. Then the most obvious course of action would be to use a white tablecloth or bed sheet and to place the items on it, making sure to drape the linen vertically as well as horizontally so that both vertical and horizontal surfaces are white.

If you already have taken the pictures and you want to cut around the objects to isolate them from the background, then you need a program like Xara Photo & Graphics Designer or Xara Designer Pro. Magix Photo Designer 7 does not do this type of editing.

Last changed by browj2 on 10/26/2014, 2:20 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

delilah24 wrote on 10/26/2014, 2:35 PM

browj2

thanks for taking time to answer.  i do use a white background sheet for my photos, but it always turns out with a yellowish cast as i don't have bright professional lighting and it can't be made pure white by adjusting the exposure.  your second paragraph pretty much answers my question.  at least i know now that it's not something i didn't figure out.  thanks again!

johnebaker wrote on 10/26/2014, 4:14 PM

Hi

. . . . it always turns out with a yellowish cast as i don't have bright professional lighting. . . . can't be made pure white by adjusting the exposure. . . .

Adjusting the exposure will not fix this issue - the yellow cast is usually caused by the camera not setting the colour balance / white point correctly and using mixed colour temperature source(s) eg daylight and tungsten lighting.

Depending on the camera you are using this can be adjusted.  Consult your cameras manual about how to set white balance manually

For table top lighting you do not need professional lighting to get an acceptable lighting rig  - 2 or 3 bright white LED desk lamps (no heat), some thin white gauze (as a diffuser) and a couple of sheets of bright white card as reflectors are all that is necessary.

For the background John CB has made one recommendation using linen - however make sure this has no creases - press the cloth with a steam iron before using.

Alternatively buy a wide roll of bright white paper from any artists supply shop or on-line and drape this behind and under the objects - you can make a support of some kind for this.

Keep it far enough back ( hence the 'wide' above ) so there are no shadows cast on it by the objects and/or place one LED lamp to illuminate the background.  Set your exposure for the object.

Note you will need to play around with lamp to background distance to get the levels right.

If you search Google and Youtube there are a lot of examples of home made rigs for photography and video which you may find useful.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 10/26/2014, 4:26 PM, changed a total of 6 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.