Comments

gandjcarr wrote on 9/30/2014, 3:42 PM

Hi, Technically, that depends.  PhotoStory is a consumer product and the end user license prohibits commercial use of the effects, transitions... of the product for commercial use.  The end user license agreement (EULA) will dictate the terms of use.  I know this is a pain and a little confusing to most people, but I would consult a copyright attorney if you expect to make a significant amount of money from the work you have created.  Are you likely to get sued for using it, probably not unless you make millions and the Magix attorneys decide to come after you.  This is a problem with pretty much all consumer products.  Professional products cost a lot more, but their licences offer a lot more.  Would I worry about it (and this is just a personal opinion and not legal advice).  Answer I would not.  You need to decide and perhaps talk to an attorney to make your decision.

George

johnebaker wrote on 9/30/2014, 4:59 PM

Hi

The part where Copyright does not become relevant is if you have, as you indicate,

. . . the poetry, music and photographs, everything I have done/written/produced myself . . .

and that means:

1.  the poetry is your own composition

2. the music is your own composition, played/sung by you - (ie not someone elses tunes / lyrics that you have played /sung or used music loops from software that are copyrighted,

3. you have taken the photographs yourself and they are not of copyrighted objects, taken inside commercial properties,exhibitions etc, or people not in a public place.

If in doubt consult a copyright attorney / lawyer as George has suggested.

Just to throw in an oddball re copyright - in some countries if you use equipment or software that is not wholly owned or hired by you, the owner(s) can claim rights to a part or all of the copyright and / or royalty payments.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 9/30/2014, 4:59 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.