Constant Crashing

Alan-Pitt wrote on 4/2/2021, 11:49 AM

I'm running Windows 10 with an I7 Processor on an SSD drive using 64 Gig of Ram.
Acid Pro keeps crashing/freezing. I personally feel this must have something to do with porting the old 32-bit software architecture across from Sony (originally Soundforge) as this is the only piece of software that crashes. Nothing else on my entire system fails.

Obviously, I'm sure we all have the odd freeze up or crash but Acid Pro 10 and Acid pro Suite crash constantly. I keep rebooting and restarting to find I open a loop and bang it happens all over. I grew up with ACID so I'm really loathed to change allegiance. However, this issue is really trying my patience. To top it off just paid another £114 to upgrade to suite (again!)

In comparison, I have FL Studio, Reaper, Reason, and Studio One on my PC which is 100% stable. PreSonus Sphere only costs £150 for a year and includes every instrument, sound pack, XFx, and their Notion software too. Completely stable and no crashing issues whatsoever. I'm finding it harder and harder to justify sticking with Acid. Is it just had its day?

Comments

Eric-Penington wrote on 4/4/2021, 4:15 PM

I lost 45 min. of work today due to a random crash on Acid Pro 10. Usually I save more often but forgot this time and paid the price. I had to try to remember the adjustments I made to the tracks and plugins and do my best to replicate what I had done during the previous 45 min. This is something I've kind of gotten used to... wish it never happened though (obviously). I just wish there was something written into the software to save the file immediately before a crash happens (or back up the file more often). I guess I'll just try to save more often. It's so frustrating because I know other DAWs don't have this problem.

Alan-Pitt wrote on 4/4/2021, 4:26 PM

Hi Eric, yes, I've just updated (yet again) to Acid Pro 10 Suite thinking a new upgrade may help but again the software has crashed about 7 times in an afternoon. Now it's just vanishing in an instant. So weird. Really love Acid but I'm beginning to lose my patience.

My theory is that Acid (Developed by Sound FOrge back in the 90s) is based on 32bit architecture. There must be a duff line of code somewhere that has not been ported across or updated properly that reaches 4 gig capacity and crashes. That's the only reason I can think of as to why Acid will crash.

I look at system resources and I'm using about 40% CPU and about 4-6% of my 64 gig RAM.

If it goes on much longer without resolution I'm sad to say I will have to give up Acid completely. Such a shame after using it for over 20 years.

peteschell wrote on 6/23/2021, 12:04 PM

Hi everyone - this is a part-venting, but a question:

I have the same problem with constant freezing with Acid Pro 10 and I am SO incredibly frustrated.

I have used Acid Pro since v7 and really like its layout and functionality. I have Acid Pro 10 and I have tried to reinstall it and melodyne essential several times to see if that might work but no luck. I just upgraded to my computer to a top-end Dell desktop with Windows10 and enough speed and memory to kill a T-Rex. Acid Pro does eat alot of memory but that cannot be the issue with my upgrade.

There doesn't seem to be any causality or any rhyme or reason that causes the freezing that I can figure out. Sometimes it happens when adding a plug-in; or when adding in some automation; or opening melodyne; or sometimes just moving the curser to another place on the timeline. It crashes ~5-10 minutes but this is an average; sometimes it happens after a minute, or sometimes I can get a good 15-20 min of editing in. Each time it freezes, I have to go to taskmaster and end Acid Pro 10 and reboot. I am now saving my edits almost after every edit so I don't lose progress.

One other small annoyance is that Melodyne Essential sometimes only shows the blobs in a linear fashion versus individual notes. I have to adjust the algorithms to try and get it back to individual notes, but similar to the Acid Pro freezes, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason on why this happens, and it is seemingly random.

I am about to throw in the towel. Acid Pro is becoming a significant waste of time. Do you know if there is a way to contact Magix for some support? I can't find a live chat, email help queue, or a phone number anywhere. Any help on how to get help or any thoughts on how to avoid the crashing would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin-Venechuk wrote on 6/28/2021, 12:56 PM

Installed the 10 update, ACID PRO 10 is now totally unstable and unusable. This is beyond belief, system locks or simply doesn't play. I'm going to go and find an older version until they figure this out.

Alan-Pitt wrote on 6/28/2021, 2:26 PM

Hi everyone - this is a part-venting, but a question:

I have the same problem with constant freezing with Acid Pro 10 and I am SO incredibly frustrated.

I have used Acid Pro since v7 and really like its layout and functionality. I have Acid Pro 10 and I have tried to reinstall it and melodyne essential several times to see if that might work but no luck. I just upgraded to my computer to a top-end Dell desktop with Windows10 and enough speed and memory to kill a T-Rex. Acid Pro does eat alot of memory but that cannot be the issue with my upgrade.

There doesn't seem to be any causality or any rhyme or reason that causes the freezing that I can figure out. Sometimes it happens when adding a plug-in; or when adding in some automation; or opening melodyne; or sometimes just moving the curser to another place on the timeline. It crashes ~5-10 minutes but this is an average; sometimes it happens after a minute, or sometimes I can get a good 15-20 min of editing in. Each time it freezes, I have to go to taskmaster and end Acid Pro 10 and reboot. I am now saving my edits almost after every edit so I don't lose progress.

One other small annoyance is that Melodyne Essential sometimes only shows the blobs in a linear fashion versus individual notes. I have to adjust the algorithms to try and get it back to individual notes, but similar to the Acid Pro freezes, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason on why this happens, and it is seemingly random.

I am about to throw in the towel. Acid Pro is becoming a significant waste of time. Do you know if there is a way to contact Magix for some support? I can't find a live chat, email help queue, or a phone number anywhere. Any help on how to get help or any thoughts on how to avoid the crashing would be greatly appreciated.

"I am about to throw in the towel. Acid Pro is becoming a significant waste of time", sadly, I think I already have. Why Magix has still not worked out the CPU issue which is causing the crashes is frustrating, to say the least. I suspect because thousands of users have already left ACID during the Sony disaster years the take up for ACID has been small so doesn't warrant the investment. Why invest to improve software when you can keep charging $200 each year for non-working updates. I suppose eventually even the most loyal of fans will finally throw in the towel.

The fact that MAGIX ignores the Windows 10 'crash issues' proves that they either don't really care or can't be bothered. I too have now taken that same attitude and have begun to explore better DAW's. Reaper and Mixcraft are extremely cost-effective DAWs that do all that Acid can do and more and well under half the price. FL Studio and Reason continue to expand their loyal following with great updates.

For more serious producers Presonus Studio ONE can be had for 50% of the cost of an Acid Pro update. Studio ONE via SPHERE gives you a 1st class, solid DAW with not one single crash in a year of use. It includes every single instrument, sound library, loop and sample pack, and tons of quality XFX. Plus, for those musicians who wish to notate also includes their own notation software too.

I grew up in the 90s with Acid under the legendary Soundforge tag but those days have long gone and never to return. Many artists die young and we remember them as they were in their prime. Marilyn Munroe will always look beautiful. With ACID we have seen Marilyn slowly decline on her death bed over many years. Instead of the iconic white dress blowing seductively upwards over a subway vent we see her in her old and sick years slowly sliding towards the grave with no one intervening to help.

RIP

PATIENT-X wrote on 5/11/2022, 11:15 AM

@peteschell @Kevin-Venechuk @Eric-Penington @Alan-Pitt

Hello gentlemen

Please leave your feedback here Magix.

Stephen

Forum Moderator

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

Intel Core i5-13600K Processor 3.5GHz

Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (16GB x 2) 4800MHz DDR5

Geforce RTX2080 Founders edition