Computer sound in Windows

siglersmalz wrote on 9/7/2008, 2:04 AM
Hi all,

I am going to start recording my own music, but prior to that, I want to practice guitar parts. Rather than bringing all of my guitar gear (amp, effects, cables, etc.) into my office (where my computer is), I want to play some mp3 songs and my electric guitar and listen to both via my headphones, which are plugged into my computer speakers.

My problem is getting the sound from my guitar into my headphones through the PC. I've plugged my guitar into a small battery powered pre-amp, and then plugged the headphone out into the line-in on my PC. I've also used the microphone jack into my PC. I cannot get sound from either jack unless I use a program to start recording sound. If I record I can hear my guitar perfectly.

I don't want to record; I just want to play along with the mp3 songs.

Does anyone know of a way in either Windows XP or Windows Vista to get sound from the line-in or mic jacks without using recording software? I figured there would be a method for just getting live input sound into the computer, but I can't find it.

Thanks!

Comments

NoTurning wrote on 9/7/2008, 9:54 PM
Hi,
Double click the speaker icon in your system tray and make sure the Line-In is not muted or that the volume is too low. The recording section may have Line-In enabled but the playback section may not. Uncheck it and bring the volume up.
If that doesn't help let us know.
Justin